« Dinosaur Death by Asteroid Theory is now Doubtful | Main | Fifty New Exoplanets Discovered »

September 21, 2011

Black Hole's flaring jet is captured by NASA

NASA's Wide-field Infrared Survey Explorer (WISE) has been able to capture the inner parts of a flaring black hole's jet for the first time ever. This is an important benchmark in the history of researcgh on black holes, allowing astronomers to make sense of enigmatic black holes. The black hole being observed is called GX 339-4, its location is 20,000 light years from Earth near the center of the Milky Way Galaxy. GX 339-4 pulls matter from a companion star that orbits it, most of the matter gets pulled beyond the event horizon into the black hole, but a portion of it is blasted out violently in the form of a jet. WISE has been taking pictures of this phenomenon every 11 seconds for a year, finding that the size of the jet projected by the black hole varies greatly from time to time. Astronomers are attempting to figure out what causes this.

Full article:

Posted by jeffsong at September 21, 2011 03:28 PM

Comments

I don't know a lot about black holes, so this information is very interesting to me. I never thought that a black hole could actually blast things away in the form of a jet. It's also astounding that astronomers have been able to view this event despite how far away it's occurring. I'm curious as to the cause of this event.

Posted by: ebench at September 21, 2011 05:20 PM

All of this information seems incredible! I never would have thought that black holes actually shoot things away. I always just figured they only brought things in.

Posted by: ouellbre at September 21, 2011 10:53 PM

Prior to reading this, my knowledge of black holes was slim to none. I think it is amazing that NASA was able to capture this phenomena especially because it occurred so far away! It just goes to show how great our technology is in addition to how much it has evolved over the years. I thought that black holes only sucked things in and not blasted them out. After reading this I have become very interested in what actually causes this to happen.

Posted by: abrod at September 22, 2011 05:34 PM

Prior to reading this article I knew just about nothing concerning black holes. It is amazing to me how NASA was able to capture such a phenomena like this especially because it was so far away! This just goes to show how great our technology is and how much it has evolved over the years. I thought that black holes were only able to suck stuff in so when I read that they actually blasted things out like a jet, I was surprised. After reading this, I am interested in learning more about this event in order to find out how this exactly occurs.

Posted by: abrod at September 22, 2011 05:59 PM

I thought that the article you posted was very interesting. I had very little idea about the functionality of the black hole until you posted this article. I hope that the astronomers are able to figure out the reasoning for why the jet projected by black holes vary from time to time.

Posted by: aakashj at September 23, 2011 04:20 PM

It's funny how portion of materials blasted out. How could those materials were able to go against the extremely strong gravity? So mysterious.

Posted by: buruken at September 26, 2011 10:24 PM

It's incredible how much we have learned about black holes without actually being able to study them up close.

Posted by: kimnath at September 28, 2011 11:43 PM

Login to leave a comment. Create a new account.