« Last lunar eclipse until 2014 | Main | NASA planet discovery to 'generate publicity' »

December 11, 2011

Mars rover Opportunity finds 'most powerful' water clue

NASA's Mars rover Opportunity discovered bright veins of a mineral, apparently gypsum, deposited by water. If the mineral is confirmed to be gypsum, it will indicate that there might be water on Mars.
The article also talks about how Opportunity rover still travels on Mars even though it has been there since 2004, and how soon it will become a rover that has travelled the most among all wheeled space vehicles.

Read more at: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-16082935

Posted by jeyhun at December 11, 2011 04:41 PM

Comments

It's only a matter of time before we find liquid water on Mars. Maybe if we find someone to access it below the surface we can one day inhabit Mars, or at least utilize it's resources.

Posted by: annaeb at December 12, 2011 12:50 PM

I agree that finding liquid water on Mars would be fantastic and may open up an opportunity to utilize its resources, however, I wonder how realistic this actually is. I am also curious about if we could ever complete a manned mission to Mars in order to fully utilize its potential resources.

Posted by: asteier at December 12, 2011 06:08 PM

Posted by: asteier at December 12, 2011 06:08 PM

Posted by: asteier at December 12, 2011 06:09 PM

Posted by: asteier at December 12, 2011 06:10 PM

Login to leave a comment. Create a new account.