« Cassini Rocks Rhea Rendezvous | Main | New Mars Rover »

January 19, 2011

Earth-sized Planet Outside the Solar System

A planet 560 light years from Earth was recently found orbiting a star similar to our Sun just beyond the solar system. The planet is named Kepler-10b due to the findings of NASA'a Kepler space telescope. The planet is said to be slightly larger than Earth; however nearly 4.6 times more massive, and most likely to be made of molten rock due to its blistering surface temperature of about 2,800 degrees Fahrenheit. Kepler 10-b completes its orbit every 20 hours and is located 20 times closer to its parent star than Mercury is to the Sun (Clark,2011).

The full article can be found at:

Posted by schultka at January 19, 2011 10:55 AM

Comments

Doesn't this tie into the few other discoveries we've made over time of Super-Earths or is the mass to small to constitute a super-earth like planet? It kind of made me wonder how life would develop on a world with far more mass than our own intelligent or otherwise.

Posted by: merceriv at January 19, 2011 01:22 PM

This is interesting. I just read about an other planet circumnavigating a star in the Andromeda constellation. With all the discoveries of planets among distant stars, I can't think that life DOESN'T exist. Of course, I don't know for sure, but I can't see any reason why it wouldn't.

Posted by: jshglass at January 19, 2011 02:22 PM

So to speak, without any scientific evidence to back up my claim, I'm in favor of the idea that life can form in completely different circumstances than it did here on Earth. Can it be proven that life cannot form from things other than what they formed from here?

Posted by: strodel at January 21, 2011 02:14 PM

The discovery of a new planet always seems to catch so much media attention. What about discoveries of a new star of advances in an place where sustainable life can be found similar to Earth's conditions?

Interesting article!

Posted by: aarthi at January 23, 2011 11:59 AM

I was very interested by the title of this article because it gave the possibility for live on another planet; however, after reading the description of the planet those odds seem low. It's amazing to see how technologically advanced we are to see such a small planet that far away ( its like seeing the tip of a ball point pen orbiting a grapefruit).

Posted by: kevinzoe at January 25, 2011 12:05 AM

THis article makes me feel like the Earth is not the only special planet in the universe. It's getting more convincing as more new planets are discovered that there is a place where another life exists.

Posted by: jinjoung at January 30, 2011 07:36 PM

Login to leave a comment. Create a new account.