« International Institute Individual Fellowships | Main | A shaky start to US-China relations under Obama? Ken Lieberthal talks to the New York Times. »

January 21, 2009

CIC Foreign Language Enhancement Program (FLEP)

Description: The Committee on Institutional Cooperation (CIC) Foreign Language Enhancement Program (FLEP) Fellowship of $2,500 allows graduate students to take advantage of less-commonly-taught-language offerings unavailable at the University of Michigan but available at another participating CIC-member university. CIC-member universities include the University of Chicago, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, Indiana University, University of Iowa, University of Michigan, University of Wisconsin-Madison, Michigan State University, University of Minnesota, Ohio State University, Pennsylvania State University, and Purdue University. See the CIC FLEP webpage for information on language offerings or to download an application.

Eligibility Criteria: To apply for funding through the University of Michigan's International Institute, applicants must be pursuing a graduate degree at the University of Michigan. Incoming U-M students are also welcome to apply. Study may be undertaken at any other participating CIC university, but University of Michigan International Institute FLEP scholarships may not be used for language study at the University of Michigan. Funding must be used for the study of a less-commonly-taught language, and the course must be taken for credit.

Deadline: Monday, February 2, 2009

Submission: Submit one copy of the following to the International Institute:
• A completed application form. A 500-word essay stating why you would like to study this language and how it will enhance your academic and professional goals.
• An official graduate transcript (incoming graduate students should submit an official undergraduate transcript).
• A confidential letter of recommendation in a sealed envelope signed across the back flap by the referee, preferably from the applicant's major advisor or dissertation director.
• The application form is available on the CIC website.
Contact: Amy Kehoe (akehoe@umich.edu)

Posted by zzhu at January 21, 2009 04:23 PM