« February 2010 | Main | April 2010 »

March 31, 2010

Alumni Association's "e-TrueBlue: China" interviews Chinese studies alumna

Bookmark and Share

Joys Cheung (PhD '08), who wrote her dissertation on "Chinese Music and Translated Modernity in Shanghai, 1918-1937" and who now teaches at City University of Hong Kong, is featured in "Alumni Spotlight" section of eTrueBlue: China.

Posted by zzhu at 08:31 PM

World premiere of Chinese songs by U-M Men's Glee Club, April 10, 2010

Bookmark and Share

What a wonderful occasion to debut these classics! Our congratulations to the Men’s Glee Club. See you at the concert!

University of Michigan Men's Glee Club
150th Annual Spring Concert
Saturday April 10, 2010, 8:00pm
Hill Auditorium
825 North University Avenue, Ann Arbor, MI 48109

The Men’s Glee Club celebrates 150 years of Tradition, Camaraderie, and Musical Excellence with this concert of music from around the world. Honoring the great international tours to six continents that the Club has taken for over the past half century, the Club presents music from Germany, Russia, China, Japan, Polynesia, Jamaica, and England. Repertoire includes Standchen by Franz Schubert, Spaseniye sodelal by Pavel Chesnekov, Ka Hia Manu arranged by Steven Hatfield, and world premieres of Chinese songs Deng Guan Que Lou (登鹳雀楼) and Gao Shan Quin (高山青)arranged by assistant conductor Reed Criddle. As always, the concert also includes the a cappella antics of The Friars and concludes with rousing Michigan songs. It’s part two of a memorable doubleheader that begins Saturday afternoon at 3pm in Hill Auditorium with the 150th Celebration Alumni Concert.

TICKET INFORMATION

Posted by zzhu at 08:11 PM

CCS Occasional Lecture Series presents: "Contemporary Xinjiang: What do we know? What don't we know?" April 5, 2010

Posted by zzhu at 07:57 PM

A Confucius Institute Lecture - "Appropriating the Sage: Pictorial Biographies of Confucius," Friday, April 9, 2010

Bookmark and Share

"Appropriating the Sage: Pictorial Biographies of Confucius from 1444 to the Present"

Julia K. Murray
Professor of Art History, East Asian Studies, and Religious Studies
Senior Fellow, Institute for Research in the Humanities
University of Wisconsin

5pm, Friday, April 9, 2010
Helmut Stern Auditorium, U-M Museum of Art
525 S. State St., Ann Arbor

ABSTRACT: Over the centuries, artists have depicted events in the life of Confucius in many different ways. Pictorial narrative biographies are by no means confined to the past, or even to China. Drawing on many examples, including currently some on view in the exhibition "CONFUCIUS: His Life and Legacy in Art" at China Institute in New York, this talk will trace the fifteenth-century origins of the biographical illustrations and explore the significance of later variations. One of the most important is a monumental version displayed after 1592 in the "home" Temple of Confucius in Qufu, Shandong, whose influence extends to modern and even contemporary examples. With Confucius's recent return to official favor in mainland China, representations of his life are proliferating again to serve new purposes.

Posted by zzhu at 07:36 PM

Investigating the Condition of Music in the Zhuangzi- A Confucius Institute Roundtable Event, April 5, 2010

Posted by zzhu at 07:29 PM

March 30, 2010

Professor David Porter's AAS blog

Bookmark and Share

David Porter is associate professor and associate chair in the Department of English and associate professor of comparative literature at the University of Michigan. Like Professor Gallagher and Professor Lam, he also agreed to guest blog from the Association for Asian Studies Annual Meeting 2010. We thank Professor Porter for his time and contribution.

---
No visitor to Beijing can fail to be struck by the complexity of modern China's relationship to its past. The razing of traditional hutong neighborhoods alarms those who regret the loss of the connection they provide to the material and social fabric of the city's history. In the suburbs, meanwhile, wealthy home buyers snap up spanking new courtyard homes that mimic Ming and Qing designs and evoke the status and leisured life-style of traditional elites.

The myriad ways historical memory can be repressed, re-used, and re-fashioned emerged as persistent theme at the meeting of the Association for Asian Studies in Philadelphia last weekend. This conference, which was attended by nearly a dozen CCS faculty and staff, featured 282 panels on a vast array of topics ranging from Buddhist poetry to North Korean security threats. Every participant no doubt found different threads to pursue in navigating all these offerings. The speakers at the sessions that caught my eye seemed to turn with remarkable regularity to issues of memory and forgetting.

The first panel I attended, on the role of the public intellectual in 21st-century China, discussed recent novelists and independent film-makers who have been explicitly concerned with problems of historical forgetting. One popular science fiction novel, which many intellectuals view as a thinly veiled parable, begins with the premise that everyone in a particular society has forgotten its recent history. State censorship played a role in this, but one character associated with the security apparatus comments, chillingly, "We could not have done it unless they wanted to forget anyway."

Campaigns of forgetting, panelists argued, have been remarkably successful over the past twenty years in China, obliterating an entire generation's awareness of the tragic events of June 1989, for example, and of the unsurpassed calamities of the Great Leap Forward, in which 36 million died of starvation. A book called Tombstone, published in Hong Kong in 2008, was described as a courageous expose of this disaster. Given the theme of the panel, there was a bitter irony in that one of the scheduled panelists, Cui Weiping of the Beijing Film Academy, had at the last minute been denied permission by the Chinese authorities to attend the conference, apparently in response to her political activism.

A session the following day on historicizing philosophy in China picked up a related theme. According to the panelists, early 20th-century Chinese intellectuals hotly debated the question of whether early Chinese thought constituted "philosophy" in the Western sense, and if it did not, whether one could potentially reconstruct a native foundation for Western logic, metaphysics, and so on from individual classical texts. One key player in this debate, the reform-minded essayist Hu Shi, was so thoroughly persuaded that China didn't have philosophy, didn't need philosophy, and was misguided in its attempts to locate analogues to Western debates in its own history, that he advocated the usefulness of "becoming good at forgetting" in order to cast off the leaden weight of the past and develop new traditions. Amnesia, it would seem, can serve equally well the purposes of those who would advocate as those who would resist reform.

Before I'd had a chance to digest the implications of this paradox, I found myself at a session on the Confucian revival in modern China. The principal theme here was that the historical legacy of Confucianism could be (and is currently being) revived and adapted to serve any number of potentially conflicting purposes. Panelists spoke of a "Rulers' Confucianism," stressing the values of obedience and social harmony, as currently in vogue among the ruling elite. At the same time, the blossoming of a "popular Confucianism" emphasizing the values of family, benevolent government, and righteous rebellion is apparent in popular culture venues including web-based discussions of current events.

In a sense, the current multiplications of the meanings of China's Confucian heritage is an extension of a well-established pattern of ambivalence and regular re-interpretation in the 20th century. One version of the "Confucian tradition" was, of course, a chief target of the May 4th movement in the 1910s. Another provided a foundation for Chiang Kai Shek's New Life Movement in the thirties, with its prescriptions for moral cultivation through adherence to prescribed ways of acting. A third became a target for the Anti-Four-Olds campaign of the Cultural Revolution in the sixties, while a fourth underpinned the restoration of the Confucian temple and cemetery in Qufu as a World Heritage Site in 1994.

The problem of historical memory in modern China, the conference made clear, is far more complex than recent news accounts of the Google controversy might seem to imply. In China as everywhere else, the construction of the present involves both the selection and interpretation of fragments of the past by a variety of players with often conflicting purposes and visions of the future.

Posted by zzhu at 04:53 PM

March 29, 2010

Professor Joseph Lam's AAS blog

Bookmark and Share

Joseph S.C. Lam is the director of Confucius Institute at the University of Michigan and professor of musicology, U-M School of Music, Theatre & Dance. Like Professor Gallagher, he also agreed to guest blog from the Association for Asian Studies Annual Meeting 2010. We thank Professor Lam for his generosity of time and attention.

---
Attending the first panel organized by a recently graduated UM student of mine, and realizing how well she presented her paper, I suddenly felt a sense of pride, which triggered many AAS memories. I first attended conference in the late 80s, and thus this meeting in Philly was one of many that I attended. Looking at my student, her panelists and one of the discussants who happened to be students of an elder academic brother, I saw their young faces, followed their creative ideas, and felt their scholarly energies. I wonder if I appeared like that to my mentors who attended my first AAS presentations, sitting in the first rows, and providing me with reassurance. Then I missed my mentors and old friends, some of them had passed away, and some could no longer travel. I left the panel with a heart heavy with thoughts about the passing of time and the changing of scholarly generations; there in those long corridors of scholarly, I was unexpectedly greeted by former colleagues and fellow scholars whom I had never met. It was nice to learn that the colleagues were all doing well, advancing their careers, and enjoying their lives--remodeling of their homes, their kids going to utopian colleges; some even had paired up with new spouses/partners. It was also reassuring to learn that fellow scholars still read my old and new publications, and found my theories and facts useful--I am sure some said nice things just to make me feel good, or to start a stimulating conversation! Then, I asked myself if I had been nice to people too? Did I criticize that and that papers too harshly? I knew I did not mean to be harsh--I am a nice guy. With a few poorly chosen words or turns of phrases, however, my questions hurled at the paper presenters could be construed as "unnecessarily harsh," if not hostile! I could only comfort myself by telling myself that I would be more friendly with the other paper presenters--I had to live with my academic faux pas. With such thoughts, I walked past the crowd and through the hotel lobby to the mundane world that unfolded along the streets outside the hotel. Quite a few time, I wanted to stop so that I could greet this or that friends, and to seize the moment. I refrained myself from doing that. I could not and would not stop the academic world from spinning. I would like to see more young and creative scholars taking center stage. I needed fresh air before I could engage with another academic debate.

Posted by zzhu at 04:33 PM

March 27, 2010

CCS Director blogs from the Association for Asian Studies Annual Meeting

Bookmark and Share

Mary E. Gallagher is the director of Center for Chinese Studies and associate professor of political science at the University of Michigan. She graciously agreed to guest blog from the Association for Asian Studies Annual Meeting 2010, currently underway in Philadelphia.

---
My time at AAS was relatively short. I attended the AAS Presidential Address and listened to incoming president Robert Hefner speak on the religious resurgence in Asia. Although I've heard the statistics about China, I didn't realize that the resurgence was so far-reaching and across many different religions. He also mentioned that women and lay people are playing more important roles than in previous movements.

My panel on political fragmentation of the Chinese State with Sida Liu of Wisconsin and Yue Zhang of University of Illinois-Chicago and Lynn White of Princeton University as discussant was surprisingly well-attended given that it started at 8:30 AM. While we all talked about very different issue areas - Sida on the legal profession, Yue on urban preservation, and me on legislative fragmentation - there was some common ground and a good discussion prompted by Lynn's very generous comments.

From there, I went to a panel for Chinese labor law geeks! I love that people are talking about the labor contract law so much. For years I felt like I was the only person paying any attention to any labor law in China (well, that's an exaggeration, but in political science for sure). Actually political scientists are still not talking about it very much. This panel was mostly sociologists and industrial relations specialists. I just have to hang out with a different group.

Lunch was had at the Reading Market with friends from graduate school and "PIP" squeaks from the National Committee on US-China Relations "Public Intellectual Program." It's a program to foster more connections between academics and policymakers on China. I was in the first cohort of PIP-ers from 2005-2007 and they now have a new group. Given the rhetoric in Washington DC on China these days, I wonder if we are having any effect.

In the afternoon, I went to the large social science panel on adaptive authoritarianism organized by Elizabeth Perry and Sebastian Heilmann. They have a book coming out soon on the topic. It was an interesting but frustrating panel. I felt that the discussion was too vague to get a handle on. But I guess that just means I'll have to buy the book....

Posted by zzhu at 11:41 PM

March 24, 2010

Ken Lieberthal talks about the Google fallout

Bookmark and Share

What does Google’s exit say? What it says publicly is what everyone deeply engaged in China knows privately...

"Stance by China to Limit Google Is Risk by Beijing"
by Michael Wines, The New York Times
03/23/2010

Posted by zzhu at 04:06 PM

Chinese Calligraphy and Modern Art: A Roundtable Discussion with H. Christopher Luce, Thursday, April 1, 2010

Posted by zzhu at 02:51 PM

U-M Law professor and CCS faculty associate Nicholas Howson interviewed by Bloomberg TV on Rio Tinto and Google

Bookmark and Share

Please click below to watch the entire "Morning Call" segment.

Posted by zzhu at 09:39 AM

March 18, 2010

Winter 2010 CCS Chinese Documentary Film Series - Two Million Minutes

Bookmark and Share

The film showing is FREE and open to the public.

Date: Saturday, March 20, 2010
Time: 7 pm
Place: Angell Hall, Auditorium A
(enter via glass doors at fishbowl, off diag)

A film by Chad Heeter; China, India and the United States; 2008; 54 minutes (English and Chinese with English subtitles)

Trailer:

Further Information

Two Million Minutes follows six engaging students from China (Shanghai), India (Bangalore), and the United States (Carmel, Indiana) as they work through their final year of secondary school and apply to college. Two million minutes is the approximate number of minutes in four years; the question posed by the film is: how do top students in the three countries spend their four years of secondary school? The film raises very interesting questions about the purposes and goals of education, and about the roles of the family, community, and society at large in raising children.

The Two Million Minutes storyline was conceived by Robert A. Compton and he also served as Executive Producer of the documentary. Compton has had a distinguished business career as a venture capitalist, as former President of a NYSE company, and as the entrepreneur founder of four companies. His trips to India in 2005 and 2006 inspired him to to create the documentary Two Million Minutes. Director and journalist Chad Heeter joined Compton on this film project in the spring of 2006, as he was completing his Master's degree in Journalism and Latin American Studies at U.C. Berkeley.

Posted by zzhu at 05:59 PM

March 17, 2010

Asia Law Society Symposium, March 20, 2010

Bookmark and Share

Please click on the flier to learn more about the event and to register.

Posted by zzhu at 11:11 AM

March 16, 2010

H. Christopher Luce on Chinese Calligraphy

Posted by zzhu at 03:44 PM

March 15, 2010

China Career Roundtable, Friday, March 19, 2010

The Association for Chinese Economic Development (ACED) would like to invite you to:

China Career Roundtable
Date: Friday, March 19, 2010
Time:4pm-5pm (panel discussion + Q&A)
5pm-5:30pm (networking session)
Venue: E1550 Ross School of Business
*Light Refreshments Provided*

The event is open to public and free-of-charge.
1. Investment Banking,
2. Accounting
3. Sales
4. Tourism Management
5. Engineering
6. IT

Meet Speakers from:
HSBC, KPMG, Johnson & Johnson, JPMorgan and more!

Posted by zzhu at 11:11 AM

CAECC Spring Festival Celebration, Saturday, April 17, 2010

Posted by zzhu at 11:08 AM

March 12, 2010

Lecture and Book Signing - Richard Baum, Department of Political Science, UCLA

Bookmark and Share

The lecture is part of the Winter 2010 CCS Noon Lecture Series.

Posted by zzhu at 05:56 PM

March 11, 2010

Winter 2010 CCS Chinese Documentary Film Series - Morning Sun

Bookmark and Share

The film showing is FREE and open to the public.

Date: Saturday, March 13, 2010
Time: 7 pm
Place: Angell Hall, Auditorium A
(enter via glass doors at fishbowl, off diag)

A film by Carma Hinton, Geremie Barme, and Richard Gordon; 2003; 117 minutes (Mandarin with English subtitles)

Further Information

Morning Sun attempts, in the space of two hours, to create an inner history of the Great Proletarian Cultural Revolution (c 1964-1976). It provides a multi-perspective view of a tumultuous period as seen through the eyes – and reflected in the hearts and minds – of members of the high-school generation that was born around the time of the founding of the People’s Republic of China in 1949, and that came of age in the 1960s. An epic collage of the interviews and archival footage detailing the emotional topography of the time and the period’s enduring legacy.

Carma Hinton (born 1949) is a documentary filmmaker and Clarence J. Robinson Professor of Visual Culture and Chinese Studies at George Mason University, in Fairfax, Virginia, United States. She was born and raised in Beijing, China, by American parents, and lived there until she was twenty-one. Chinese is her first language and culture. Together with Richard Gordon, Hinton has directed thirteen documentary films about China, including Morning Sun, The Gate of Heavenly Peace, Small Happiness, First Moon, All Under Heaven, and Abode of Illusion. Her films have also received wide acclaim in both the popular press and in academic journals. Morning Sun-about China's Cultural Revolution—is "a stunning new documentary film" (Newsweek), "an astonishing mix of propaganda and news footage ... an illuminating look at China's dark time" (The Boston Globe), and "transfixing" (The New York Times).

Please go to http://www.morningsun.org/ for lots more on the film.

Posted by zzhu at 03:33 PM

Confucius Institute Open House, Monday, March 22, 2010

Bookmark and Share

Join us for a day of food and fun! And enter to win fabulous prizes including two tickets to the April 7 UMS concert by Schleswig-Holstein Festival Orchestra with Lang Lang on piano!
Please click below to go to the event Web site.

Posted by zzhu at 02:55 PM

March 05, 2010

Bright Sheng and Friends: East/West

Sunday, March 21, 4 pm
Apse

UM School of Music, Theatre, and Dance faculty composer, MacArthur fellow, and CCS faculty associate Bright Sheng presents his own works—A Night at the Chinese Opera, Three Chinese Love Songs, Seven Tunes Heard in China, The Stream Flows, and the Third String Quartet—juxtaposed with studies in orientalism by Maurice Ravel and Bela Bartok. Sheng is joined by fellow SMTD faculty Stephen Shipps and Logan Skelton, the Phoenix Ensemble, DMA cellist Paul Dwyer, and guest artist Jennifer Goltz.

Tradition Transformed is made possible in part the E. Rhodes and Leona B. Carpenter Foundation, the University of Michigan Office of the Provost, the UM Center for Chinese Studies, and the Blakemore Foundation. Additional support was provided by Mary Palmer and the George Dewey and Mary J. Krumrine Endowment.

Posted by zzhu at 09:34 AM

March 04, 2010

China Energy Jobs!

1. State Department – China Expert

The Office of Global Change is looking for strong candidates to fill several new positions. We support the U.S. Special Envoy for Climate Change in leading international negotiations under the UN Framework Convention on Climate Change, the Major Economies Forum, and other international bodies. We shape the development and implementation of climate change and energy partnerships, including the Global Partnership launched by the Major Economies Forum and the Asia-Pacific Partnership, as well as efforts on adaptation and land-use cooperation.

Work in a fast-paced and high-profile environment. The work is demanding, intellectually challenging, and requires international travel. We are looking to fill the following positions:
- Adaptation Negotiator
- Coordinator of Climate Change Assistance Programs
- Climate Change Mitigation/ Energy Technology Expert
- China Expert

General Qualifications for all positions:
• Excellent interpersonal and oral communication skills.
• Ability to write clearly and succinctly under time pressure.
• Strong organizational skills and attention to detail.
• Ability to reliably deliver on multiple priorities under tight deadlines.
• Ability to operate significantly under own initiative, crafting proposals and policy recommendations with minimal guidance.
• Academic background and experience in public policy, economics, and environmental and/or energy issues.
• Strong team player who is eager to jump in to take care of crises as they emerge.
• Ability to work with a wide variety of actors, including policymakers, representatives of other governments, business and the non-governmental community.

The China Expert will:
• Be the staff lead on climate change issues in China.
• Recommend strategic priorities for high-level policy and programmatic engagement with China.
• Help manage the bilateral and diplomatic relationships with China on climate change and clean energy.
• Draft briefing memos and talking points related to China.
• Undertake research projects relating to China and climate change.

The ideal Candidate would:
• Be expert on climate change and/or energy in China.
• Understand political dynamics in China.
• Have lived in China, with experience dealing with Chinese government and/or commercial enterprises.
• Speak and read Mandarin.
This position is offered at a level commensurate with background and experience.

2. Department of Energy - Director, Office of East Asian Affairs

This position is located in the Office of the Assistant Secretary for Policy and International Affairs, Office of East Asian Affairs. The incumbent of this position will serve as a recognized authority providing independent recommendations and decisions within assigned areas of responsibility. The Office of East Asian Affairs is the focal point within the Department of Energy (DOE) for development, coordination, and implementation of U.S. energy policy objectives in East Asia. This includes bilateral activities with China, Japan, South Korea, North Korea, Mongolia and Taiwan as well as multilateral activities with the Asia Pacific Economic Cooperation and other fora. Among these activities, the highest priority is U.S. bilateral energy cooperation with China. This Office represents the Department in interagency, intergovernmental, and international meetings related to East Asia energy cooperation. It develops and implements strategies to promote clean energy, fight climate change, enhance energy security, fight energy poverty, and remove impediments to international energy trade and investment.

Posted by zzhu at 10:21 PM