April 13, 2011
Position at Sotheby's: Chinese Works of Art Specialist
Sotheby's is currently looking for a Chinese Works of Art Specialist (based in New York) with at least 5 years of work experience and Mandarin oral and written skills.
Job Title: Specialist
Department: Chinese Works of Art
Reporting To: Caroline Schulten and Christina Prescott-Walker
Working as a Specialist in the Chinese Works of Art department in New York focusing on all aspects of the auction process including expertise, business-getting and client development.
• Responsibility for the cataloguing process in the department; working with the other members of the department to ensure the sale is properly researched and catalogued. Duties include catalogue production, layout and design as well as writing catalogue notes and condition reports
• Negotiate sale terms, explain auction procedures and provide seamless service to clients throughout auction process.
• Assisting with the sourcing of consignments by evaluating and appraising Works of Art for estimate requests, walk-in appointments and trade clients. Provide estimates and work with Senior Specialists as appropriate to confirm evaluations and maintain close follow-up on property that has been estimated but not yet consigned for sale.
• Assist with exhibition set up
• Work with all specialists to sell the sale by helping clients at the exhibition; speaking to clients about the property; develop, track and communicate client interest in lots; and execute bids at sale
• Evaluate client’s property at Sotheby’s and at client locations, including participation in full valuation projects
• Working proactively on client development - actively managing client relationships for Sotheby’s in order to enhance client loyalty and generate business
• Expertise and experience of the Chinese Works of Art market with at least 5 years work experience, ideally within the auction business
• Knowledge of both written and oral Mandarin Chinese is preferred
• Self starter
• A team player with excellent communication skills
• Thorough, focused, with a passion and commitment to the field
• Professional and discreet client service skills
• Excellent writing and organizational skills
• Ability to maintain composure in a stressful environment and meet constant deadlines
• Strong multi-tasker
Posted by zzhu at April 13, 2011 11:48 PM