February 19, 2012
Program Officer, Strategic Partnerships, China - The Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation
Division: Global Development Program
Department: Agricultural Development
Guided by the belief that every life has equal value, the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation works to help all people lead healthy, productive lives. In developing countries, it focuses on improving people's health and giving them the chance to lift themselves out of hunger and extreme poverty. In the United States, it seeks to ensure that all people-especially those with the fewest resources-have access to the opportunities they need to succeed in school and life. Based in Seattle, the foundation is led by CEO Jeff Raikes and co-chair William H. Gates Sr., under the direction of Bill and Melinda Gates and Warren Buffett.
The goal of the Global Development Program is to increase opportunities for poor people in the developing world to lift themselves out of hunger and poverty.
We support efforts in the following areas:
- Agricultural Development: helping poor farmers increase their productivity and incomes;
- Financial Services: making a wide range of financial services-particularly safe places to save-more widely available to people in developing countries
- Policy, Advocacy, and Special Initiatives: increasing awareness of global development issues; identifying and promoting powerful solutions; and advocating for more effective investments;
- Water, Sanitation, and Hygiene: investing in effective sanitation approaches that will contribute to a world where children and families lead healthier, more productive lives;
- Global Libraries: providing free access to computers with the Internet through public libraries in emerging countries.
This Program Officer (PO) will be located in Seattle on the Strategic Partnerships team supporting the Agricultural Development Strategy in the Global Development Program. The foundation is committed to a long term partnership with China and the PO will support a number of key initiatives with the Chinese government, agricultural research institutions and private sector that aim to improve small holder agriculture in Africa. This position will require an individual with good organizational and communication skills and deep knowledge of China.
In support of these key responsibilities the PO will:
- Focus on the development of strategic partnerships that will result in co-funding opportunities with the government agencies and the private sector in China relevant to Africa
- Provide ongoing research, background information and analytical support for the Deputy Director (DD),and other program officers engaged with China
- Manage China-Africa initiatives and special projects
- Assist the DD in communicating internally with the program staff about opportunities and progress with our Chinese partnerships
- Develop, execute and manage external partnerships and contracts for landscaping analysis
- Prepare regular reports and presentations for a variety of purposes and audiences, summarizing developments and recommendations for key program areas
- Facilitate, coordinate and manage a range of projects and activities related to evaluating, developing, preparing and monitoring specific grants; in particular, support the Ministry of Science and Technology (MOST) grant partnership
- Work with program teams to facilitate external reviewers for proposals
- Assist in developing reviews, summaries and informative reports for the Co-Chairs and Benefactors
- Travel occasionally, up to 20%, to assist in program related events
Contribute to foundation knowledge, evaluation, learning, and dissemination including:
- Keep leadership informed of progress and developments in China
- Synthesize and document what has been learned across related grants and contracts
- Prepare briefings and portfolio reviews
- Partner with various GD programs to share learnings and expertise
- International development and management consulting experience preferred
- Understanding of Chinese and American culture. Work experience in both geographies preferred
- Advanced degree preferred
- Fluency in Mandarin and English
- Excellent written and oral communication skills in positions requiring communication with a broad and diverse audience representing diverse cultures
- Track record of working well with others in teams
- Experience in a role requiring collaboration within an organization, as well as a demonstrated ability to work with efficiency and diplomacy as part of a team effort
- Ability to organize/prioritize work and meet deadlines within a fast paced environment with multiple and competing demands
- Selfless dedication to the mission, flexibility, and willingness to learn
The statements in this description represent typical elements, criteria and general work performed. They are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills for this job.
As part of our standard hiring process for new employees, employment with the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation will be contingent upon successful completion of a comprehensive background check.
We are an equal opportunity employer dedicated and focused on diversity.
Requisition Number: 2873BR
Nearest Major Market: Seattle
Job Segments: Agricultural, Agricultural Development, Agriculture, Consulting, Global Health, Government, Healthcare, Management, Management Consulting, NGO, Nonprofit, Not for Profit, Philanthropic, Philanthropy, Program Manager, Public Health, Public Policy, Research, Strategy, Technology
Posted by zzhu at February 19, 2012 12:53 PM