April 12, 2012
Resident Program Manager-Hong Kong
The National Democratic Institute (NDI) is a nonprofit, nonpartisan organization working to support and strengthen democratic institutions worldwide through citizen participation, openness and accountability in government. NDI is based in Washington, DC and maintains field offices in over 60 countries around the world.
NDI has operated in Hong Kong since 1997 and remains one of the only international non-governmental organizations focusing on the administrative region’s democratic development. With a non-partisan approach and a proven track record of working with civil society and political actors in Hong Kong, the Institute currently provides technical assistance to local civil society organizations, educational institutions and political parties across the ideological spectrum.
The Institute is currently recruiting for the following Hong Kong-based position:
Responsible for day to day management of country and program specific democratic development programs and overall oversight by performing the duties listed below.
• Provides assistance in day-to-day management of Hong Kong office.
• Oversees program implementation, sub-grants to local partners, and ensuring compliance with financial regulations.
• Contributes to the planning, design and evaluation of NDI’s projects in Hong Kong in collaboration with local partners, in-house experts and external experts and advisors.
• Maintains collaborative relationships with international democratic development organizations, civic organizations in the U.S. and the region, national and international news organizations, political party networks and partners, and NDI’s network of volunteer trainers and experts.
• Monitors Hong Kong program’s annual budget; provides a full, accurate and timely accounting of all funds.
• Drafts reports describing programmatic conditions and progress to donors and DC office
• Monitors political events in Hong Kong and China.
• Serves as NDI representative at local and international conferences and meetings and assists with NDI’s public outreach.
• Assesses political development and new opportunities and evaluates current projects.
• Supervises, guides and mentors subordinates in the Hong Kong field office.
• Bachelor’s Degree, preferably in International Relations, Political Science or related subject; graduate degree desired.
• Minimum of eight (8) years relevant work experience in international development, community organizing, political campaigns, organizational development or legislative affairs. Graduate degrees may be substituted for work experience.
• Bilingual Cantonese and English language ability strongly preferred.
• Hong Kong resident preferred.
• Strong writing skills.
• Budget and accounting skills.
• Excellent communication and interpersonal skills to effectively interact with all levels of staff, U.S. and foreign government personnel, members of donor organizations, funders, and policy makers.
• Competency in one or more areas of NDI’s functional programs:
o citizen participation;
o information, communications and technology;
o monitoring and evaluation;
o political parties; and
o women’s political participation.
• Ability to manage, lead, inspire and motivate staff.
• Working knowledge of PC-based word processing and spreadsheet applications.
Hong Kong, HK
Please submit a brief cover letter, resume, short writing sample (10 pages or less), and the names and contact information for two references to David Caragliano, NDI Senior Program Officer, via e-mail at email@example.com. The deadline for applications is Tuesday, May 8, 2012 by 11:59 PM, EST. Applications received after this deadline will not be considered.
Posted by zzhu at April 12, 2012 09:19 PM