April 27, 2009
Ember Swift at The Ark, May 6, 2009
Posted by zzhu at 10:25 AM
April 07, 2009
Kunqu superstars to perform at School of Music
Posted by zzhu at 09:06 PM
January 29, 2009
Chinese Fusion Festival - Orchestra Canton
Posted by zzhu at 03:25 PM
October 30, 2008
Collage 2009 - call for submissions
The Conducting Department seeks applicants for Collage 2009. We invite student soloists or ensembles of any combination of instruments and/or voices to apply.
Collage is a 60-minute whirlwind event designed to showcase musical excellence in the performing arts with a great diversity of styles, historical periods, and formats. We encourage applicants to submit audition recordings of distinctive repertoire that show the performers at their highest level of musicianship and expressiveness. Pieces generally average 2-4 minutes in length, including excerpts or truncated versions. Preference will be given to music that exhibits uniqueness of mood, tempo, or other features. We encourage standard repertoire as well as music on the cutting edge.
• Students (graduate or undergraduate) currently enrolled in School of Music, Theatre & Dance. (Students graduating December 2008 are also eligible.)
PRODUCTION DATES (all in Hill Auditorium)
• Tech rehearsal*: Friday, January 16, 2009, 3:30-5:30 PM
• Dress rehearsal: Friday, January 16, 2009, 7:00-11:00 PM
• Performance: Saturday, January 17, 2009, 8:00PM
* Any soloist and their accompanist, and at least one member of the group who plays, sings, and/or conducts the first note, says the first word, or makes a dance move that starts that piece are required to be present at this tech rehearsal. All members of a small group may be required to attend this rehearsal, if the nature of the piece makes it necessary.
• Discuss this project with your principal teacher. The Conducting Department will accept no
application without support from the applicant's principal teacher.
• Send an email message to Rodney Dorsey (firstname.lastname@example.org) with subject line "Collage" and
"your last name." Be sure to copy your sponsoring faculty member.
• Include in your message the following information
• Name of composition
• Name of composer
• Exact instrumentation
• Names of performers
• Duration in minutes and seconds
• Brief description of the piece
• Submit CD recording of your piece (as performed by the student(s) listed on your application form) to the faculty mailbox of Rodney Dorsey.
• Tuesday, November 4, 2008
• Wednesday, November 26, 2008
• Rodney Dorsey (email@example.com)
The Collage Concert celebrates its thirty-second anniversary in 2009. It is an exceptional opportunity for the School of Music, Theatre & Dance to showcase the diversity of its offerings and student achievement as we celebrate 128 years of artistry and scholarship. Thank you for your time and consideration.
Posted by zzhu at 03:26 PM
August 26, 2008
THE ARK: Abigail Washburn & the Sparrow Quartet
Fresh from the Summer Olympics in Beijing
Friday, September 19 at 8:00 pm
316 S. Main Ann Arbor
Fusions of bluegrass and Chinese music, the sound of Abigail Washburn and the Sparrow Quartet feature the clawhammer banjo, fiddle, and cello.
Doors open at 7:30 pm
Her all star group includes instrumentalists Ben Sollee, Casey Driessen, and the legendary newgrass innovator Bela Fleck!
Posted by moyera at 02:05 PM