July 24, 2007
Harvard Academy Scholars Program
The purpose of the Academy Scholars Program is to identify outstanding scholars at the start of their careers whose work combines disciplinary excellence in the social sciences (including history and law) with a command of the language, history or culture of non-Western countries or regions. Their scholarship may elucidate domestic, comparative, or transnational issues, past or present.
Open to recent Ph.D. (or comparable professional school degree) recipients and pre-doctoral applicants. Candidates for advanced degrees must have completed all course work and general examinations by the time of application as well as reached the final stages of the dissertation research and writing.
Academy Scholars are appointed for two years and are expected to reside in the Cambridge/Boston area unless traveling for pre-approved research purposes. Pre-doctoral Scholars will receive an annual stipend of $28,000 plus funding for conference and research travel, and some health insurance coverage. Postdoctoral Scholars will receive a stipend of $46,000.
There is no application form, but the following materials are required:
* a current curriculum vitae, including a list of publications (include 3 copies)
* a statement of the applicant's planned research, and intellectual objectives and planned methodological and disciplinary work - no more than 10 pages double-spaced (include 3 copies)
* an official copy of each graduate transcript
* three letters of recommendation
* a cover letter which succinctly states the applicant's academic field, country or region of specialization, and proposed or actual research topic (include 3 copies)
Applications are due 12 October 2007.
Finalists will be invited to Cambridge for interviews in December.
For more information consult their Web site, or contact the Academy at the address below. Faxed or e-mailed application materials will not be accepted. Do not staple materials.
Academy Scholars Program
Harvard Academy for International and Area Studies
1727 Cambridge St.
Cambridge, MA 02138
Posted by idareyou at July 24, 2007 12:37 PM