June 12, 2013
CFA: The International Symposium on Cultural Diplomacy in the European Union
- Call for Applications -
The International Symposium on Cultural Diplomacy in the European Union
“Sustainable Economic Growth, Further Integration and Common Identity: Moving towards a European Consensus”
(Brussels; July 3rd - 5th, 2013)
Since its foundation the EU has undergone multiple transformations in the socio-cultural, political, and economic spheres. Today, the European Union consists of 27 member states, all of which work closely together to develop policies to facilitate common interests such as the free movement of people, goods, services, and capital across borders.
Although the EU has made great strides in the past six decades- both politically and economically- the region still faces challenges in terms of delivering prosperity, bridging the gap between institutions and citizens, and creating a common and collective “European Identity.” Over four years of economic, social and political crisis have presented the EU, its leaders, and its people with a number of crucial challenges, which must be thoroughly and instantly tackled in order for Europe to be successful and to maintain its leading position in the global arena.
The International Symposium on Cultural Diplomacy in the EU will therefore offer participants a platform to discuss the present and future challenges of the European Union, and will elaborate on the role of Cultural Diplomacy in improving European relations, enhancing cross-cultural collaboration, building democratic governance, and sustaining peace and stability in the region.
Based in Berlin, the Conference will be hosted at a number of important political, historic, and cultural locations across the city, and will consist of excursions to the country's top institutions and landmarks.
Participation in the conference is open to governmental & diplomatic officials, academics, artists, journalists, civil society practitioners, private sector representatives, young professionals and students as well as other interested individuals from across the world. If you would like to reserve a position and participate in the symposia, please click HERE
Speakers during the symposium will include leading dignitaries, heads of state, ministers, politicians, diplomats, academics, authors, human rights activist, journalists, and artists. These speakers will include a number of individuals from the ICD Advisory Board. To learn more about the ICD Advisory Board, please click here.
Speakers for the Symposium include:
· The Hon. Dr. Alfred Sant - Former Prime Minister of Malta
· H. E. Amb. Andrej Lepavcov - Ambassador of Macedonia to the EU
· H. E. Amb. Carlos Appelgren Balbontín - Ambassador of Chile to the European Union
· Charles-Etienne Lagasse - President, EUNIC
· Elke Van den Brandt - Member of the Flemish Parliament
· H. E. Amb. Fuad Eldar oglu Isgandarov - Ambassador of the Republic of Azerbaijan to the Kingdom of Belgium and Grand Duchy of Luxembourg
· Giuseppe Gargani - Member of the European Parliament
· H. E. Amb. Kornelios S. Korneliou - Ambassador of Cyprus to the European Union
· The Hon. Luc van den Brande - Former Minister-President of Flanders-Belgium; Former President, European Committee of the Regions
· H.E. Amb. Mihnea Motoc - Ambassador of Romania to the European Union
· Philippe Suinen - CEO, Wallonia Foreign Trade and Investment Agency and Wallonie-Bruxelles International
· Senator Richard Miller - Member of the Flemish Parliament
· H. E. Amb. Vangelis Vitalis - Ambassador of New Zealand to the European Union
· Wilfried Vandaele - Member of the Flemish Parliament
· Willem-Frederik Schiltz - Member of the Flemish Parliament
· The Hon. Yves Leterme - Deputy Secretary General of the Organization for Economic Co-operation and Development; Former Prime Minister of Belgium.
Posted by sarayu at June 12, 2013 11:35 AM