« Call for Papers: “Far from Jihad. Combatants of Muslim Origin in European Armies in the 20th Century” Conference (May 22-23, 2014, Paris) | Main | CFP: MORE OR LESS EUROPEAN Discourses on Contemporary European Migration, Integration and Othering (November 7-8, 2013, University of Oslo) »
July 08, 2013
Fellowships: Doctoral Research Fellow Positions in Language-based East European area Studies
Deadline: September 1, 2013
Two PhD positions in language-based East European area studies are vacant in the Department of Literature, Area Studies and European Languages (ILOS). PhD projects must include analyses of primary source material in one of the Slavic languages taught at ILOS: Bosnian-Croatian-Serbian, Czech, Polish, and Russian.
Priority will be given to PhD projects connected with research conducted by the department's senior researchers in East European studies.
The appointment is for a period of 3 years and the doctoral thesis is expected to be completed within the given time frame.
The person appointed will be affiliated with the Faculty's organized research training. The academic work must result in a doctoral thesis that will be defended at the Faculty with a view to obtaining the degree of PhD. The successful candidate is expected to join the existing research milieu or network and contribute to its development. Read more about the doctoral degree.
• A Master degree or equivalent. The master degree or equivalent has to be achieved by the time of application.
Qualifications and personal skills
In assessing the applications, special emphasis will be placed on
• The applicant’s academic and personal qualifications in order to execute the project
• The applicant’s ability to complete research training
• Good collaboration skills and an ability to join interdisciplinary academic communities
• The project’s scientific merit, research-related relevance and innovation
Applicants who have recently graduated with excellent results may also be given preference.
• Pay grade 50-56 (NOK 421 100 - 465 300 per year, depending on qualifications)
• Professional development in a stimulating working environment
• Good welfare benefits
Applicants must submit the following attachments with the electronic application, in a word- or pdf-format:
• Application letter - what is your motivation for applying to Faculty of Humanities?
• Curriculum Vitae
• A list of published and unpublished work, if applicable
• Transcript of records of your master degree. Foreign applicants are advised to attach an explanation of their university's grading system.
• Research proposal (see below)
Our electronic recruitment system will ask you to upload the attachments in the above mentioned order. Transcript of records should be uploaded as 'Attachment' under 'Other'. Please note that all documents must be in English or a Scandinavian language.
The research proposal must not exceed 14,000 characters (including spaces and footnotes) and is expected to answer the following seven areas:
1. Main objective and summary of the project
2. Background of the project
3. Theoretical framework
4. Research question(s) and expected findings (hypothesis)
6. Proposed dissemination
7. Progress Plan
All research proposals must be based on this template and applications with a research proposal longer than 14,000 characters will not be considered. A list of publication no longer that 3000 characters can be submitted additionally. See also Template for research proposal.
Educational certificates, master theses and the like are not to be submitted with the application, but applicants may be asked to submit such information or works later.
Interviews will be part of the application process.
See also Guidelines pertaining to the application assessment process for Doctoral Research Fellowships.
The University of Oslo has an agreement for all employees, aiming to secure rights to research results a.o.
The University of Oslo aims to achieve a balanced gender composition in the workforce and to recruit people with ethnic minority backgrounds.
• Region: Oslo
• Job type: Contract
• Working hours: Full-time
• Working days: Day
• Application deadline: September 1, 2013
• Location: Oslo
• Reference number: 2013/6854
• Home page: http://www.hf.uio.no/ilos/
Posted by parmelee at July 8, 2013 11:47 AM