October 28, 2009
Create Research Projects Content Type with Keyword connections
I'm going to create a simple Content Type called Research Project that will hold the Metadata information collected this summer. This will serve as a way for the UMBS community to keep tabs on what is going on.
1) Here are Modules and Sub-Modules I think I need for this:
Administer > Site Building > Modules
CCK > Content, Link, Node Reference, Number, Text, Option Widgest, User References
2) Create Research Project content type:
Administer > Content Management > Content Types > Add content type
Name: Research Project
Description: Research activities at the University of Michigan Biological Station.
Title field label: Research Project Title
Default Options: Published
Default comment setting: disabled
3) Manage fields
Go to content type (Research Project) > manage fields > New Fields
Added these text fields: Researcher (Check boxes/radio buttons), Abstract
Note that it is probably appropriate to create a Taxonomy of Researchers.
4) Create Keyword taxonomy list
I want to associate keywords with the Research Project so I created a list of keywords. Working off of this list from the LTER.
Because I have a large list, I wanted to do bulk taxonomy uploads (vs 1 at a time):
I went here to get a Drupal 6 module called Taxonomy Batch Operations.
$ cd /home/data/Desktop/
$ mv taxonomy_batch_operations.tar__0.gz taxonomy_batch_operations.tar.gz
$ sudo tar xzf /home/data/Desktop/taxonomy_batch_operations.tar.gz
$ sudo cp -r taxonomy_batch_operations /var/drupal/sites/all/modules/
Then go to enable the Module.
Administer > Content management > Taxonomy > Add vocabulary
Vocabulary name: Keywords
Description: Keywords for describing research projects and datasets.
Content Types: Research Project
Settings: Tags, Multiple select, Required
5) Notice that when you go to Create content > Research Project the keywords show up there and will auto complete as you type them in.
6) I then went in a create two Research Projects and the use of a keyword taxonomy links the two . E.g. if both use keyword: groundwater then by clicking on groundwater you list all research projects assocated with that keyword.
Posted by kkwaiser at October 28, 2009 09:27 AM