February 09, 2010
Setting up an alpha site
I am now starting a new website which will (hopefully) be deployed by April. This largely entails taking all of the good stuff I've developed on the old site and leaving all the half-finished, half-baked, outdated stuff behind. Here are notes on the process, just in case I need to do this again:
1) Create the drupal website following INSTALL.txt. This is in the subdirectory, http://localhost/alpha. I'm using a separate code base for this, I could not figure out the multi-site, subdirectory configuration for the life of me.
2) Export the desired content types and views from the original, pre-alpha, website.
biblioBlock_relatedResearchSites.php (requires block configuration/code)
3) Copy the appropriate modules over from pre-alpha to alpha:
serial (creates auto-incrementing ids)
taxonomy_xml (for importing the list of Counties and townships)
4) Turn on the modules and import the content types and views. My first attempts to import the researchSiteList view produced the WSOD (white screen of death.) This screen disapeared upon restarting my computer.
5) These modules require configuration:
biblio, gmap, location, probably more
6) Create vocabularies:
- UMBS Keywords - The keywords from the bibliography will populate this vocabulary
- GNIS Classes - related to Research Sites, terms for clumping sites (e.g., lakes, streams, forest). Use taxonomy_xml to import this list (GNIS_Classes.csv)
- Michigan Counties and Townships - for the Research Sites, allows clumping by geographic location. Import with node_import (Michigan_townships.txt)
- USGS Maps - for Research Sites, allows clumping of sites according to maps they are presented on. Import with node_import module (USGS_Maps_in_Michigan.txt)
to be continued...
Posted by kkwaiser at February 9, 2010 08:40 AM