« April 2010 | Main | June 2010 »

May 19, 2010

Messing with nice menu's css

A few notes.

Made a copy of this file:
sites/all/modules/nice_menus/nice_menus_default.css

$ sudo cp nice_menus_default.css nice_menus_custom.css

And specified the new custom file with the Themes>Global Configuration page. I had moved the menu for anonymous users to the header and changed the float css at line 154.

I also tried this with a few other themes. My hope was that, by using a fixed-width theme (e.g., Minelli) an d moving the menu to the header, I would save space but it didn't seem to make things any better. In fact they appear to have gotten worse.

Posted by kkwaiser at 01:09 PM | Comments (0)

Panels and Images

Not that this blog has any followers, but if it did, they would notice that a reoccurring theme is Drupal + Images. Essentially, how to make Drupal + Images = Good.

Thus far, I believe I've made the correct decision in going with the CCK + ImageField approach outlined in this post. However, I've begun messing around with Panels which has re-opened the Image equation:

Drupal + Panels + Images + X = Good

What composes X? And is it really a direct relationship? Maybe something like this is closer:

Drupal + Panels + Images + Log(sin(X))2/0 = Good

I'm not a math-wiz but sometimes imaginary numbers seem fairly descriptive of Drupal.

I'm currently thinking that X is composed of ImageCache (see my notes here) thereby allowing preset sizes to enforce uniformity) and a CCK "Image" content type composed of an imagefield that users would upload images to. With the latter, you could easily create a gallery with views (and with the help of an image vocabulary one could parse the images into several galleries) AND you could draw the images into panels. This commenter and merlinofchaos appear to agree with parts of what I've stated, which is encouraging.

Posted by kkwaiser at 09:23 AM | Comments (0)

May 07, 2010

OpenSSH server on Ubuntu and access via Mac

Started at this link.

Then loaded openSSH following this link. Although I used a different port and used ufw to configure the firewall:

1) Netstat will print network connections (make sure SSH not already installed?):
$ sudo netstat -tulpn

2) Install openSSH:
$ sudo apt-get install openssh-server

3) Check to see if SSH is running (program=sshd)
$ sudo netstat -tulpn
$ sudo ufw allow [port]

4) Tighten security a tiny bit:

a) Edit config file
$ sudo nano /etc/ssh/sshd_config
b) Change port number
c) Control users who can login: AllowUsers [user1] [user2]
d) restart ssh server
$ sudo /etc/init.d/ssh restart

5) Open port:
$ sudo ufw allow [port]

6) Install LogWatch to monitor activity on the Ubuntu Box. Note, this seems to install PostFix (email server) if not already present.

$ sudo apt-get update

$ sudo apt-get install logwatch

This command will print out a report:
$ logwatch

Logs kept here:
$ cd /var/log

7) Set system emails to forward to your email account:

$ sudo nano /etc/aliases
Add this line:
root: joblow@google.net

Other notes:

Then, to ssh in (from Mac):

Applications > Utilities > Terminal

$ ssh [username]@[hostname.umich.edu] -p [port]

I toyed with this link but decided not to go there. Don't fix it if it is not broken.

Posted by kkwaiser at 12:05 PM | Comments (0)

Federal Research Public Access Act of 2009

There is a bill in the House of Representative's Committee on Oversight and Government Reform (H.R. 5037) that would require federal funding agencies to implement procedures to ensure that data and publications funded by the government become common property. This link should 1take you there.

Out of curiosity, I called Dingell's office to see if he had a position. It's not his committee so he didn't have one but the rep for the Rep said he would get back with a response.

Posted by kkwaiser at 11:05 AM | Comments (0)

NSF data management requirements

Here's a story in Science about NSF data management plan requirements.

And here is an email response I wrote to the person who drew this to my attention:

I think UMBS may serve as an example of one type of departmental-level response to this. We've currently finished drafting a data management policy (please don't circulate):

and we recently inserted a section on data management into a proposal our Director, Knute Nadelhoffer, is on. I think the next step for us will be to draft a generic appendix that meets requirements of the NSF solicitation (http://www.nsf.gov/pubs/2009/nsf09514/nsf09514.htm; see below). We (I) would then be available to the researchers to identify likely future datasets and customize the appendix.

"

(A-1) Data Management Plan (maximum 1 page): Development and adherence to community-wide standards for collection and presentation of data, such as microarray or interactome data, are highly encouraged. Large-scale datasets must be made available in a format that enables rapid comparison and effective utilization of reproducible information. All proposals must include a detailed data management plan if the project is expected to generate significant digital data for preservation (maximum 1 page). The contents of the data management plan should include:

* The types of data to be produced
* The standards that would be applied for format, metadata content, etc.
* Provisions for archiving and preservation
* Access policies and provisions
* Plans for eventual transition or termination of the data collection after the NSF funding period

"

Posted by kkwaiser at 11:01 AM | Comments (0)

May 05, 2010

Printing Posters at U of Michigan

Kolossos Printing
$7/sq foot - glossy
$10/sq foot - matte (better for text/unknown lighting)

For my poster: $104

$15/linear foot (round-up on feet)
For my poster = $60

Fedex Kinkos = $75 for 42" x 32"

Posted by kkwaiser at 09:05 AM | Comments (0)

Remote desktop XP to Ubuntu

I haven't set this up (yet) but here is a list of notes/links that will probably be important:

Set the Ubuntu VNC server to fire up on start up. How to do this, in a way.

A tutorial.

Another tutorial using tightVNC and secureCRT(?).

Posted by kkwaiser at 08:53 AM | Comments (0)

May 04, 2010

Removing .Net from Firefox

Not my area, but apparently the newest version of Firefox 3.63 makes previously hidden add-ons appear in your add-ons list. This caused some Microsoft .Net stuff to show up which I promptly removed because 1a) I don't want microsoft installing hidden programs on my open source browser because 1b) their programs are always targeted for hacks/viruses.

I followed this link to remove .Net.

I used these notes to determine if my machine was x64 or x86:

Method 2: View System Information window

1. Click Start button, type system in the Start Search box, and then click System Information in the Programs list.
2. When System Summary is selected in the navigation pane, the operating system is displayed as follows:
* For a 64-bit version operating system: x64-based PC appears for the System type under Item.
* For a 32-bit version operating system: x86-based PC appears for the System type under Item.

Posted by kkwaiser at 08:43 AM | Comments (0)