October 22, 2010
Rip a chapter and convert the VOB file to flash
This is one of those posts that makes me want to curse with pride because, really, why should I know how to do this? OK, I don't really know what I'm doing here but someone else does and they where nice enough to let me in on the secret. Here goes:
1) Install mplayer and mencoder for Ubuntu. I just used synaptic for this.
2) Following this tutorial, rip the dvd (or chapter) to the hard drive:
For the whole dvd:
$ mplayer dvd://1 -dumpstream -dumpfile myvideo.vob
*For a single chapter (key was here):
$ mplayer dvd://1 -chapter 1 -dumpstream -dumpfile myvideo.vob
*This doesn't actually seem to work.
3) Convert the file you just ripped into flv format:
$sudo mencoder myvideo.vob -of lavf -ovc lavc -lavcopts vcodec=flv:vbitrate=150 -ofps 25 -oac mp3lame -lameopts abr:br=32 -srate 44100 -vf scale=720 -o outputfile.flv
4) This gives you one huge flv of the entire dvd disc. I broke the disc down into chapters with Moyea FLV Editor Lite. Note, this is a Mac/Windows package, it looks like Avidemux would work for the Linux OS.
5) Created an account at SciVee.tv and uploaded the files.
This is the reason I post my work notes publicly. I would be dead-in-the-water if it weren't for the [insert hyperbole here] souls who share their knowledge on the interwebs.
Posted by kkwaiser at October 22, 2010 05:14 PM