March 21, 2011
IE emulator on Ubuntu
This is not a How To post. Think of it as a How I Tried and Failed post.
1> Installed Wine and IE 7 -> then learned Wine is not an emulator
2> Tried IE4Linux -> then learned it is not really maintained and is not compatible with Ubuntu 10.04 and/or I'm not smart enough to configure it.
3> UM Virtual Sites -> Haven't tried but assuming I will only see IE8 if I can get it to work from my machine.
4> User Agent Switcher -> Firefox Addon mentioned in some forum. Shot in the dark, no dice.
5> Find old XP laptop and place next to workstation -> this is what I've resorted to and where I wish I would have started.
Pinged a listserve I'm on for help and came away with this in terms of potential solutions:
1) Setup a virtual Windows OS using, VirtualBox, Parallels or VMWare.
- Probably the best, long-term solution but too involved considering my immediate need is simple and I already run a dual-boot
2) Firefox Addon: IE NetRender
- appears to work except it produces a static image of the specified page where my problem (or, more accurately, IE's problem) is with drop-down menus which don't render.
3) Use IE8's developer tools to render as an IE7 browser.
- This works well enough in combination with my old laptop "solution"
Posted by kkwaiser at March 21, 2011 12:50 PM