October 11, 2011
Cool Things - Part I
Application of profiling buoys to determine whole lake metabolism in stratified lakes - P. Staehr
- Accounting for physical changes between depths
- Respiration and NPP higher in metalimnion
- High variability of biological processes driven mix layer depth, light attenuation
Deep chlorophyll maxima - Kevin Rose
- Implicatinos for ecosystem structure and metabolism estimates
- UV and PAR with manual profiler
- Chlorophyll peaks line up with 1.7% PAR and forms a 1:1 linear relationship (R^2 = 0.98)
Would help to know what deep chlorophyll maxima are
- Looking for PAR and UV profile data
Unnamed presentation shall remain unnamed
- I'm going to skip this one but will bet $5 that the speaker goes way over the time limit. Any takers?
- Rainfall increase increases UV absorbance due to accompanying increase in fresh DOC.
- Moderator is standing and the speaker is going strong. Double or nothing?!?!?
- No time for questions, I win the day.
Earth Microbiome Project - Ashley Shade
- Interesting side note: Ashley made the shortlist for an EEB faculty position a few years ago. She's now post-docing at Yale University.
- EMP Goal: characterizing microbial life on earth
- Four products - Gene Atlas, Assembled Genomes, Metabolic Reconstruction, Visualization Portal
- Opportunity to get microbes at UMBS sequenced
Novel approaches for assessing ecosystem metabolism and greenhouse gas fluxes at the Experimental Lakes Area - Scott Higgins
- Plug for Experimental Lakes Area
- NW Ontario research area with ~40 years of data
- Have sediment flux chambers deployed
- Supped up garden hose rack hooked to a data logger which controls raising and lowering of sensor package
Analysis of future scenarios of simulated water temperature data using lake analyzer - Nihar Samal
- Use climate model predictions to guestimate future water temps and feed into Lake Analyzer to model physical structure of the lake
- Interesting combination of climate change models and limnological models. However, models derived from models of models yields skepticism - error propagation, anyone?
- Schmidt Stability increases 15-20%
CALON project: Circumarctic Lakes Observation Network - John Lenters
- Note: Lenters also has projects on Lake Superior with collaborators from N. Michigan University
- This is a new site report, next GLEON should have data
- Arctic Observing Network - NSF/NOAA initiative, funding CALON
- One site in Barrow, Emaiksoun Lake and one other
Meta: We've two talks left and it is now lunchtime :|
I pledge to keep my talk very short - which probably won't matter because I am slated to go last tomorrow and we'll almost surely be 20 minutes behind by then.
Meta II: Nevermind, they're cancelling talks to get us to lunch.
Renconciling differences in the temperature-dependence of ecosystem respiration across time scales and ecosystem types
Complete aside: internet speed appears to decrease when boring talks are given - Gabriel Yvon-Durocher
- take home: this person is doing a nice job of linking terrestrial carbon to aquatic ecoystems
Posted by kkwaiser at October 11, 2011 10:51 AM
TrackBack URL for this entry:
Listed below are links to weblogs that reference Cool Things - Part I:
» Ray Ban Sunglasses from Ray Ban Sunglasses
I've read this post and if I could I want to suggest you some interesting things or advice.\nRay Ban Aviator sunglasses encompass the shape that started it all. The Ray Ban Aviator is the brand staple originally designed for the U.S. military fighter p... [Read More]
Tracked on February 21, 2014 11:48 AM
» payday loans from payday loans
Ihre Aufstellungsorte Anforderungen für Syndikatsbildung von Ihr Eintragungen? I sein extrem innen intrerested übersetzend einige von Ihre Aufstellungsorte Pfosten in Französisch für meine Aufstellungsorte Leser und möchte wissen was Ihr Meinung a... [Read More]
Tracked on March 7, 2014 03:08 PM
Tracked on March 7, 2014 03:25 PM
Tracked on March 14, 2014 12:55 AM
Tracked on March 27, 2014 10:45 PM
» http://echocardiographics.org/2014/03/28/never-lose-your-coupons-again/ from http://echocardiographics.org/2014/03/28/never-lose-your-coupons-again/
Data Discussions: Cool Things - Part I [Read More]
Tracked on March 30, 2014 01:15 PM
Tracked on April 2, 2014 12:30 PM
Tracked on April 6, 2014 04:00 AM