« Logging and communicating file downloads. Part Deux | Main | Drupal permissions link »

November 22, 2011

Moderate Sensitivity Data

After placing an initial emphasis on delineating which research data fall under the High Sensitivity category I now wonder which fall under the Moderate Sensitivity category. Data Types such as Proprietary Data and Geolocations of Cultural Assets and Endangered Species* Data fall under High Sensitivity (AKA, Sensitive Data) per UM policy which leaves the cupboard bare at MS.

*Yes, great name and thank you.

-------------------------------------------------------------
What research data are Moderate Sensitivity?

Queue a rampaging google search and documentation session.

University of Iowa (Fight! Fight! Fight! for IOWA!!) - Indicates some research data are of Moderate Sensitivity. I thank you, Hawkeyes, in a highly non-specific manner.
- Update (Jan 16, 2012) - UI's data classification page uses three sensitivity categories. Great minds and all that...

DataONE - the ecological informatics guru's weigh in on this topic- serious adverse effect to an organization as a result of the loss of confidentiality with no examples. Although they do reference FIPS 199 [hint: foreshadowing]

University of Miami does not identify research data as falling under Moderate Sensitivity

Cancer Biomedical Informatics Grid (caBIG) is somewhat specific calling MS data that which is Coded/Limited Data. They also have a somewhat opaque flowsheet for determining Data Sensitivity.

A limited data set is protected health information that excludes certain identifiers but permits the use and disclosure of more identifiers than in a de-identified data set. In particular, the limited data set allows the inclusion of all dates, 5 digit ZIP codes, and city as indirect identifiers. A limited data set may be used only for the purposes of research, public health, or health care operations. - source and another source for good measure.

University of Maryland - overview of data classification from their Office of Information Technology. Despite a barrage of acronyms this is useful.**

- NIST's FIPS 199- Federal governments response to data classification needs brought upon by FISMA
- FISCAM - is the manual that is used by OLA to audit us
- GREAT University Policies - George Washington, Stanford*** and UT-Austin

** Although I wonder how many people this talk has put to sleep.
***Stanford's policies have changed since this presentation was assembled

NIH - Two obscure documents and a presentation that includes the caBIG item I link above define Moderate Sensitivity data, in part, as that which is unpublished.

-------------------------------------------------------------
What have I learned from this Rampaging Google Search and Documentation Session™?

A lot but not too much of immediate use. I'm beginning to think Moderate Sensitivity data include unpublished and unique research data. This creates space for Low Sensitivity data to become published data. The problem is, both categories seem to become catch-alls with a lack of specific examples (aka Data Types).

Posted by kkwaiser at November 22, 2011 08:58 AM

Trackback Pings

TrackBack URL for this entry:

Listed below are links to weblogs that reference Moderate Sensitivity Data:

» well nanoo from well nanoo
How do i make videos bigger in my blogger website larger? [Read More]

Tracked on February 6, 2014 06:30 PM

» コーチ 財布 激安 from コーチ 財布 激安
The diesel watches were packed in the new trend. These watches were newly introduced after the introduction of new watch manufacturing engineering. [Read More]

Tracked on February 12, 2014 02:46 AM

» コーチ アウトレット from コーチ アウトレット
The widely accepted belief is that in case you buy from a Coach outlet then you don't have the money to buy among the list of pocketbooks from a conventional shop. That belief is far from reality. [Read More]

Tracked on February 13, 2014 03:05 AM

» コーチ 財布 2014 新作 from コーチ 財布 2014 新作
Fantastic article ! You havemade some very astute statements and I appreciate the the effort you have put into your writing. Its clear that you know what you are writing about. [Read More]

Tracked on February 13, 2014 03:10 AM

» web site from web site
data discussions: moderate sensitivity data [Read More]

Tracked on February 16, 2014 01:36 AM

» セイコー アストロン 2014 from セイコー アストロン 2014
Hey mate, thanks for sharing but this page doesnt format correctly in Chrome it is is overlapping.Just want to say your article is astounding. The clarity in your post is simply spectacular and i can assume you are an expert on this field. Well w... [Read More]

Tracked on February 16, 2014 09:41 PM

» anna sui 財布 2014 from anna sui 財布 2014
The popular belief is that in case you buy from a Coach outlet then you do not have the money to buy on the list of pocketbooks from a regular shop. That belief is not even close reality. [Read More]

Tracked on February 17, 2014 07:41 PM

» Canada Goose from Canada Goose
ugg boots for sale [Read More]

Tracked on February 17, 2014 09:22 PM

» factorquemagrasato.blogspot.com from factorquemagrasato.blogspot.com
metodos para adelgazar [Read More]

Tracked on February 18, 2014 04:24 PM

» イルビゾンテ バッグ from イルビゾンテ バッグ
That diesel watches were packed in the new trend. These watches were newly introduced after the development of new watch manufacturing technological know-how. [Read More]

Tracked on February 19, 2014 05:59 PM

» mirena attorney from mirena attorney
If I want to use a font that says it's for personal use only, would it be ok to use on blogger? Also, I don't know if getting Google Adsense would make a difference.. [Read More]

Tracked on February 21, 2014 01:55 PM

» Tiffany UK from Tiffany UK
Data Discussions: Moderate Sensitivity Data [Read More]

Tracked on February 26, 2014 02:45 AM

» ポールスミス アウトレット from ポールスミス アウトレット
I dont want to sound mean, right here. But do you actually think that you can get away with adding some pretty pictures and not really say anything? [Read More]

Tracked on February 28, 2014 08:29 PM

» http://wedddresses.radioactif.tv/ from http://wedddresses.radioactif.tv/
Data Discussions: Moderate Sensitivity Data [Read More]

Tracked on March 2, 2014 05:44 PM

» louis vuitton taschen from louis vuitton taschen
Data Discussions: Moderate Sensitivity Data [Read More]

Tracked on March 2, 2014 09:29 PM

» http://dressesauing.musicblog.com/ from http://dressesauing.musicblog.com/
Data Discussions: Moderate Sensitivity Data [Read More]

Tracked on March 2, 2014 11:39 PM

» how does credit fraud happen from how does credit fraud happen
What would be a good way to start a creative writing essay? [Read More]

Tracked on March 5, 2014 02:39 PM

» website from website
Data Discussions: Moderate Sensitivity Data [Read More]

Tracked on March 6, 2014 03:47 PM

» tick from tick
It would be great if I could post text and pics to the blog from my cell (iPhone). Maybe even video??. . I'm new at the whole blog thing, so it really would need to be free and pretty easy to use.. . THANKS!. [Read More]

Tracked on March 11, 2014 09:12 AM

» ケイトスペード 財布 from ケイトスペード 財布
Appreciate the recommendation! Let me try it out. [Read More]

Tracked on March 14, 2014 03:29 AM

» アナスイ 財布 from アナスイ 財布
So not really on the same topic as your post, but I found this today and I just cant resist sharing. Mrs. Agathe's dishwasher quit working so she called a repairman. Since she had to go to work the next day, she told him, ¡°I'll leave the key under t... [Read More]

Tracked on March 18, 2014 03:10 PM

» Roofers from Roofers
How Can I Copyright Protect Stories and Articles on My Website? [Read More]

Tracked on March 18, 2014 07:20 PM

» social media for business from social media for business
As I look at the major courses for both it seems that I can take screen writing and film courses as my general major elective as a English major. When I choose a minor which can be creative writing or film studies, I'm having a hard time because I want... [Read More]

Tracked on March 22, 2014 10:54 AM

» kubok-karpat.com.ua from kubok-karpat.com.ua
Data Discussions: Moderate Sensitivity Data [Read More]

Tracked on March 22, 2014 11:46 AM

» blog from blog
Data Discussions: Moderate Sensitivity Data [Read More]

Tracked on March 31, 2014 03:42 PM

» Ralph Lauren Outlet Nederland from Ralph Lauren Outlet Nederland
Data Discussions: Moderate Sensitivity Data [Read More]

Tracked on April 4, 2014 12:40 PM

» theclevergroup.com from theclevergroup.com
get the top insurance companies anywhere [Read More]

Tracked on April 5, 2014 10:44 AM

» フルラ 財布 新作 from フルラ 財布 新作
It is by far no way to do it and you should avoid as much as possible. [Read More]

Tracked on April 7, 2014 11:40 PM

» click here from click here
Data Discussions: Moderate Sensitivity Data [Read More]

Tracked on April 9, 2014 08:08 PM

» SEO from SEO
I want to make my own Blogger layout because none of the ones I have found incorporate my Header correctly/match with my Header that I want to use. Is there a website that can teach me how to do this? (I also do not have Photoshop, so I need to use ano... [Read More]

Tracked on April 10, 2014 06:32 PM

» rolex replica from rolex replica
I am new to web designing and it made me more confused when I stumble into this content-management-system thing. I'm planning to update a site that is not designed using JOOMLA and was wondering if I can use Joomla to update it.. [Read More]

Tracked on April 10, 2014 10:21 PM

» http://theclevergroup.com from http://theclevergroup.com
I would like to start a jobs website using Joomla or Wordpress. Is this possible? [Read More]

Tracked on April 10, 2014 10:31 PM

» volunteer in costa rica from volunteer in costa rica
Hi I'm interested in computer courses to study, today I spoke to someone from one of the unis I was interested in one of the courses were more about designing and the other practical and more technical fixing and support the system. I'm really interest... [Read More]

Tracked on April 13, 2014 02:44 PM

» www.historiccentrehouse.com from www.historiccentrehouse.com
Data Discussions: Moderate Sensitivity Data [Read More]

Tracked on April 13, 2014 03:13 PM

» buy instagram followers from buy instagram followers
Any ideas of what I can write about? What would you be interested in reading? And how can I get people to see it?. [Read More]

Tracked on April 14, 2014 10:04 AM

» Seo Company from Seo Company
Copyright? Can I distribute publically distributed legal articles to my clients without violating copyright? [Read More]

Tracked on April 14, 2014 03:32 PM

» pandora uk from pandora uk
Data Discussions: Moderate Sensitivity Data [Read More]

Tracked on April 15, 2014 01:44 PM

Comments

Login to leave a comment. Create a new account.