November 29, 2012
Export UMBS Research Site Gazetteer to CSV to KML
1. Visit and download sites and lats/longs http://umbs.lsa.umich.edu/research/research_sites
2. Install a csv to KML converter
- I dowloaded the 32bit debian and ran the installer
- To open a the program go here and double-click /usr/local/bin/kmlcsv-converter (note I navigated within a sudo nautilus window to give the program permission to write within my Documents folder)
3. Move lats/longs on CSV to first two columns (kmlcsv expects this apparently.) Remove header line as that will become a site otherwise.
4. In google-earth go to File > Open and select your KML file.
5. To select a subset of the research sites add a new Folder under My Places then locate a site of interest > Right click > Save to My Places
Posted by kkwaiser at November 29, 2012 10:48 AM