November 17, 2008
Berlin PostDoctoral Fellowships - Europe in the Middle East
CALL FOR APPLICATIONS
10 POSTDOCTORAL FELLOWSHIPS FOR ACADEMIC YEAR 2009/2010
The Berlin-Brandenburg Academy of Sciences, the Fritz Thyssen Foundation and the Wissenschaftskolleg zu Berlin invite scholars to apply for ten post-doctoral fellowships for the research program: EUROPE IN THE MIDDLE EAST - THE MIDDLE EAST IN EUROPE
The program puts forward three programmatic ideas:
1) supporting research that demonstrates the rich and complex historical legacies and entanglements between Europe and the Middle East
2) reexamining genealogical notions of mythical 'beginnings', 'origins', and 'purity' in relation to culture and society
3) rethinking key concepts of a shared modernity in light of contemporary cultural, social, and political entanglements that supersede identity discourses as well as national, cultural or regional canons and epistemologies that were established in the nineteenth century.
The program 'Europe in the Middle East - The Middle East in Europe' is funded by the Fritz Thyssen Foundation. It supports and builds upon the following interconnected research fields:
- Cities Compared: Cosmopolitanism in the Mediterranean and Adjacent Regions
- Islamic Discourse Contested: Middle Eastern and European Perspectives
- Perspectives on the Qur'an: Negotiating Different Views of a Shared History
- Traveling Traditions: Comparative Perspectives on Near Eastern Literatures
- Tradition and the Critique of Modernity: Secularism, Fundamentalism and Religion from Middle Eastern Perspectives
PREREQUISITES AND APPLICATION PROCEDURE:
The fellowships are intended above all for scholars of history, literature, philology, political philosophy, religion and sociology who want to carry out their research projects in connection with the Berlin program. Fellows gain the opportunity to pursue research projects of their choice within the framework of one of the above-mentioned research fields and in relation to the program 'Europe in the Middle East - the Middle East in Europe'. In Berlin, they will be
integrated into a university or non-university research institute. The working language of the research program is English.
Fellows will receive a monthly stipend of 1.800 € (supplement for accompanying spouses: 250 €), and are obliged to work in Berlin and to help shape the seminars and working discussions related to their research field.
As a rule, the fellowships begin on 1 October 2009 and end on 31 July 2010. The applicant's doctorate should have been completed no earlier than 2001.
An application should be made in explicit relation to one of the research fields and consist of
1.) a curriculum vitae
2.) a 2 to 4 page project sketch
3.) a sample of scholarly work (maximum 20 pages from an article, conference paper, or dissertation chapter)
4.) a letter of recommendation by one university instructor.
The application should be submitted by e-mail as word document or PDF File in English and should be received by 11 January 2009, sent in to:
Europe in the Middle East - the Middle East in Europe
c/o Wissenschaftskolleg zu Berlin
Attn: Georges Khalil
Wallotstrasse 19, 14193 Berlin
Fax: +49 30 - 89 00 12 00
For further information on the program 'Europe in the Middle East - The Middle East in Europe' and for detailed information on the research fields, please see: www.eume-berlin.de
Posted by kpfister at November 17, 2008 10:53 AM
TrackBack URL for this entry:
Listed below are links to weblogs that reference Berlin PostDoctoral Fellowships - Europe in the Middle East:
Tracked on January 16, 2010 12:11 PM