August 01, 2011
MIDDLE EAST-NORTH AFRICA REGION
Application deadline: 19 August 2011
The Coalition for the International Criminal Court (CICC) includes 2,500 civil society organizations in 150 different countries working in partnership to strengthen international cooperation with the ICC; ensure that the Court is fair, effective and independent; make justice both visible and universal; and advance stronger national
laws that deliver justice to victims of war crimes, crimes against humanity and genocide. The ICC is the first permanent Court with the mandate to bring to justice individuals who commit the most serious violations of international humanitarian law, namely genocide, crimes against humanity and war crimes. For further information about the Court and the work of the Coalition, visit our website at www.coalitionfortheicc.org. With major developments that have occurred and continue to evolve throughout
MENA—particularly in Egypt, Tunisia, Algeria, Bahrain, Syria and Morocco, and the UN Security Council’s referral of the Libya situation to the ICC—the world’s attention is focused closely on the region. In addition, there has been a shift whereby there is now
strong interest from several government and interim government leaders to integrate justice into their respective efforts to address these developments.
The Coalition for the International Criminal Court seeks a Regional Coordinator for the MENA region for its International Secretariat, who will be based in the Middle East-North Africa region; country to be determined based in part on qualified applicant's preferred location. The Regional Coordinator (RC) will have overall responsibility to implement the Coalition's campaign in the Middle East and North Africa (MENA). Under the general supervision of the CICC Program Director and the direct supervision of the Director of Regional Programs, the RC will work in collaboration with the CICC
Outreach Liaison for the region (who is based in New York) and the MENA Program Officer (based in Jordan) to advance the Coalition's campaign goals of ensuring universal ratification, effective domestic legislation, international support for the International Criminal Court (ICC), stronger ICC networks, and support for the integrity
of the Rome Statute.
The responsibilities of the MENA Regional Coordinator will include but are not limited to:
• Creating and maintaining a good working relationship with CICC members throughout the region;
• Providing support and guidance to CICC members throughout the region to reinforce their capacities to advance justice at the ICC and nationally;
• Identifying new CICC members and allies in the region to diversity the web of CICC partners and ICC interested parties in the region;
• Assessing developments in key countries such as Libya and others to be determined; developing advocacy strategies in each target country, together with key national and international partners to lead to progress on long term CICC objectives, including ratification, implementation, complementarity, and cooperation;
• Facilitating exchanges of view and expertise between national NGOs and the government organs;
• Meeting with government officials, academics, parliamentarians and other key stakeholders to promote the CICC’s goals at the national level;
• Helping develop and review proposals from NGOs for ICC-related local activities;
• Attending relevant regional and national meetings in MENA;
• Identifying and developing relationships with key media contacts;
• Drafting regular reports on the ICC process in MENA;
• Maintaining internal communications by liaising regularly with the CICC Secretariat by email and phone;
• Supervising other MENA-based office staff and interns, as required.
• Advanced degree in law, international relations or other relevant field, with specialization in international human rights or humanitarian law;
• In-depth knowledge on Libya, Egypt, and Tunisia;
• At least 5 years of progressively responsible experience;
• Significant advocacy experience;
• Ability to work independently with minimal supervision when required;
• Ability to be a strong team player committed to overall objectives of the CICC;
• Experience working closely with NGOs around the world, in particular in the region;
• Fluent English and Arabic language skills including excellent writing, advocacy and public speaking skills in Arabic and English;
• Ability to interact with NGOs, government officials and intergovernmental organizations with tact, diplomacy and cultural sensitivity;
• Familiarity with regional politics and cultures;
• Skilled at prioritizing and completing multiple tasks;
• Demonstrated experience in personnel and project (programmatic and financial)management;
• Willingness to travel extensively;
• Dynamism, independence, strong commitment to the International Criminal Court and international justice.
TERMS & OPPORTUNITIES:
• Salary commensurate with experience;
• Opportunity to play a significant role in the establishment of a fair, effective and independent International Criminal Court;
• Opportunity to influence the development of our campaign priorities in the MENA region.
HOW TO APPLY:
Interested candidates should send, in English:
- A curriculum vitae;
- A cover letter stating your interest in work with the CICC and summarizing your suitability for the position;
- Three references (name, title, affiliation, email and phone number).
Please email or fax applications to:
Meriam Manell Sassi, Program Associate
Coalition for the International Criminal Court
Fax: +1 (212) 599-1332
Include your first and last name, the job title (MENA Regional Coordinator) and the date of submission in the subject line of your email or fax. Applications must be received by August 19 and will be reviewed on a rolling basis.
Note that only those candidates selected for interview will be notified. No phone calls, please. The CICC is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer strongly committed to
hiring and retaining a diverse and internationally representative staff.
Posted by carijoy at August 1, 2011 09:44 AM
TrackBack URL for this entry:
Listed below are links to weblogs that reference Regional Coordinator:
» longchamp sac pas cher from longchamp sac pas cher
The Zune concentrates on being a Portable Media Player. Not a web browser. Not a game machine. Maybe in the future it'll do even better in those areas, but for now it's a fantastic way to organize and listen to your music and videos, and is without pee... [Read More]
Tracked on May 1, 2013 01:15 AM