February 12, 2007
VisBrow - the beginning
At last, it has begun. Most of my time was spent reading docs to start getting my mind wrapped around the problem and the resources available.
I was thinking that a simple process for the app could be:
- Display default map view
- User pan/zoom to site of interest
- click "Get Datasets"
- query database: get all layers that contain points in this geometry
- display list of applicable layers (shp files) to user
- User selects layers & styles
- Presses "Display data"
- Add layers to existing map & display (OpenLayers pulls layers from Geoserver)
- Provide link to download map as ShapeFile, KMZ, pdf, etc.
So far I can:
- load a default map
- Allow user to pan and zoom
- Click “Get Datasets”
- Display the NE and SW (lat, lon) of the map’s current window. (see http://www.lib.umich.edu/nsds/visbrow/v1/map_explorer2.php)
- Get a running copy of PostgreSQL with PostGIS
- Play with querying the dataset for applicable shape files
Posted by shawse at February 12, 2007 01:54 PM