Doctoral Student Office Norms
Posted: September 21, 2009
Please observe the following guidelines when it comes to sharing spaces with your fellow PhD students:
• The School of Social Work provides the doctoral student office (3680) and reading room (3733) to support students’ progress in the program. Individuals who are not current PhD students in the Joint Program are not authorized to use these resources.
• All current students in the Joint Program in Social Work and Social Science are eligible to use the computer equipment, file cabinets, kitchen, and reading room. Students are provided with access to these facilities once they have received an orientation to use of the computers and printer/copier.
• Please inform the doctoral program coordinator, Todd Huynh (email@example.com) if you would like to be assigned a file cabinet drawer.
• These rooms are shared spaces. When using the office and kitchen equipment, please clean up after yourself, take personal phone calls outside, and take any ongoing conversions to another room when others are studying.
• Please keep the windows closed and use the thermostat to regulate temperatures. Report any problems with the temperature in the room to the doctoral program staff Todd Huynh (firstname.lastname@example.org) or Laura Thomas (email@example.com) so they can report them to the facilities staff.
• File cabinet drawers and shelves are provided for storing personal items. Please do not leave them at a computer desk when you are not working.
• Personal computer files should not be saved to the computer hard drives. Please save them to your own flash drive or to your IFS Home Directory. Inexpensive flash drives can be purchased from the UM Computer showcase (http://showcase.itcs.umich.edu/). Information regarding the IFS Home Directory is at http://www.itd.umich.edu/itcsdocs/r1070/
• All computer problems should be reported to firstname.lastname@example.org and cc’ed to email@example.com as soon as possible.
• All printer/copier problems should be reported to firstname.lastname@example.org and cc’ed to email@example.com as soon as possible.
• Paper and office supplies, such as staples, can be replenished by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
• The reading room is provided for quiet work on personal laptops, reading, small meetings or discussions, or use of the phone.
• Please feel free to share any questions or concerns you have about use of the shared space with Todd Huynh (email@example.com).