Job Opportunity in El Salvador: Education, Formation, and English School Coordinator
Posted: December 21, 2009
ORGANIZATION NAME: Centro de Intercambio y Solidaridad (CIS)
JOB TITLE: Education, Formation, and English School Coordinator
LANGUAGES REQUIRED: Spanish, English
LOCATION: San Salvador, El Salvador, Central America
LAST DATE TO APPLY: January 08, 2010
For more information regarding how to apply, click on 'Read more...'
The mission of the Centro de Intercambio y Solidaridad is to promote
solidarity and exchange between Salvadorans and other peoples of the
world, which includes accompaniment, respect for diversity, equitable
relations and mutual support among human beings. The CIS also works
to raise consciousness and to organize and mobilize towards social and
economic justice and human dignity through programs such as
Delegations and Brigades. Solidarity Partners, Grassroots Organizers,
Salvadoran Enterprises for Women, Solidarity Crafts, and our
International Election Observer Mission. Centered in this context,
the CIS Spanish and English schools use popular-education methodology
to promote discussion of issues of social justice in a communicative
We're looking for a responsible, dynamic individual to fill the role
of English School Coordinator (50%) and Education and Formation
Coordinator (50%), which includes the following responsibilities:
English School Coordinator
* Coordinate four 9-10 week English cycles per year with approximately
6 volunteer teachers and 50-60 adult students.
* Correspond with potential volunteers and coordinate logistics of
host family stays, etc.
* Train volunteer teachers on themes such as popular education, second
language acquisition, and lesson planning.
* Coordinate weekly meetings with volunteers to provide further
training and logistics support.
* Organize weekend political-cultural program trips for volunteers.
* Oversee English school logistics, including the student admissions
process, graduations, program evaluations, and finances.
* Plan and carry-out extra-curricular activities with English School students.
* Update and expand the English School Wiki lesson plans Database.
* Create additional didactic materials such as a photo bank, student
workbooks, and grammar guides for ESL volunteers.
Education and Formation Coordinator
* Coordinate with CIS Spanish school to develop activities that
promote the program's transversal themes, such as women's rights, the
environment, and the social movement.
* Coordinate with the Political Cultural Program coordinator to plan
and schedule cultural-outings for volunteers and Spanish students that
promote CIS mission and programs.
* Supervise and support development of a Spanish School Wiki lesson
plans data base, together with the Spanish school coordinator.
* Coordinate monthly activities to promote solidarity exchanges
between CIS Volunteers, Spanish Students, Spanish Teachers, English
Students, and Host Families.
* Coordinate 6 workshops per year for School for Solidarity and Social
Transformation, a program designed to provide CIS staff and community
leaders with new tools to help them in their work.
* Update the website with photos, videos, and other promotional
materials for the English and Spanish school.
* Coordinate the development of didactic materials for the English and
Our ideal candidate is a self-starter, flexible, ability to administer
details, experience in education, with the ability to work in
face-paced environments. Demonstrated commitment to issues of social
justice and the ability to work in a multicultural setting is a must.
* Fluent in Spanish and English
* B.A. in Education, Social Sciences, or Related Field
* At least 2 years experience in program coordination or administration
* Popular Education and/or Grassroots Organizing methodology.
* ESL or Spanish teaching experience or certification.
* Excellent communication skills, both written and oral.
* Good computer skills, including basic knowledge of design and
* Excellent administrative skills and attention to details.
* Grassroots organizing or community development experience.
* Knowledge of Microsoft Access, Wikimedia, and basic HTML.
Please send a cover letter and resume to: email@example.com by
January 8, 2010 with "Application for Education and Formation /
English School Coordinator" in the Title. This position in located in
the capital city of San Salvador, El Salvador, Central America. For
more information about our organization, visit our website at
* Modest Salary, according to experience.
* Health care, 4 weeks paid vacation, and other benefits according to the law.
* Contribute to education and Social Justice in El Salvador