Job Opening: Policy Analyst for National Latina Institute for Reproductive Health
Posted: October 12, 2011
Position available as Policy Analyst at the National Latina Institute for Reproductive Health in Washington, D.C.
ORGANIZATIONAL DESCRIPTION: Founded in 1994, the mission of the National Latina Institute for Reproductive Health (NLIRH) is to ensure the fundamental human right to reproductive health for Latinas, their families, and their communities through public education, policy advocacy, and community mobilization.
RESPONSIBILITIES: NLIRH seeks an experienced, resourceful and innovative individual with strong leadership skills and advanced analytical abilities to work out of our Washington, D.C. office as a full-time Policy Analyst.
The Policy Analyst will promote a national policy agenda designed to protect the reproductive health and rights of Latinas. The person in this position will work independently, as part of a dynamic team and in coalition with movement partners. The Policy Analyst must be able to evaluate complex public programs, projects and studies, proposed legislation and current law in order to promote NLIRH’s policy and advocacy work in the areas of abortion access, immigrant women’s rights and reproductive health disparities.
For more information, including instructions for the application process, please click "Read More"...
The duties of the Policy Analyst shall include:
• Advance NLIRH's policy positions by conducting legislative analysis, research and preparing policy briefs, fact sheets, public education campaign materials and all other policy related publications on matters related to our three program areas;
• Conduct trainings, presentations, and interviews on behalf of NLIRH at national conferences, events, and congressional meetings and briefings, and represent NLIRH in national and local coalitions;
• Coordinate and participate in meetings/coalitions with members of Congress, staffers and colleagues in the fields of reproductive health, Latino/a civil rights and immigrant rights;
• Work with the Community Mobilization Program to support and advance national and local advocacy campaigns;
• Draft state and national policy analysis in accordance to NLIRH’s three program areas for Community Mobilization’s trainings and Latina Advocacy Networks;
• Work with high level policymakers in a variety of settings and respond effectively
to their needs for information and assistance and identifying opportunities to provide information to members, in consultation with senior staff;
• Plan, organize and then manage a diverse and demanding policy project portfolio.
• Collect and interpret data and research from a variety of sources to prepare recommendations for senior staff on program area standards, policies, strategies, goals and evaluation plans.
LOCATION: Washington, DC
QUALIFICATIONS: Ideal candidates will have an advanced degree and a minimum of 2 years experience working on policy and/or reproductive health and rights issues. Legal background and/or experience dealing with congressional staff, federal and state agencies and working knowledge of the federal legislative process a plus. Knowledge
and understanding of the Affordable Care Act and its impact on Latinas and their families a plus. Comfort working under pressure/tight deadlines in a fast-paced environment and proven ability to manage multiple priorities. Knowledge of project
management concepts, execution and software tools. Advocacy experience. Fully bilingual (Spanish/English) candidates are strongly encouraged to apply. The candidate must also have excellent research and written/oral communications skills.
APPLICATION PROCESS: Submit resume, three references and a relevant, 2 to 3- page, writing sample to:
Director of Policy