« November 2006 | Main

December 08, 2006

Cell Phones and SPAM!!

Cell Phones and THE SPAM!!

This article talks on the new problems being faced by cell phone subscribers associated with SPAM, no the tasty, processed ham we all love so much. All of us, being frequent computer users, have had to deal with a lot of email SPAM, but now our cell phones are starting to be targeted. This article refers to specifics events relating to SPAM, i.e. certain cellular providers spaming their own clients, illegal services saying that they have client lists of people who want to be called by telemarketers (I didn't know such a list existed), and other legal actions taken against SPAM.

SPAM is a very important topic when it comes to cell phones because it has the ability to slow down your processor, may lead to viruses, or the fact that you are never out of reach from bogus advertisements. A while back, I was sent emails about sending my name into a certain website to be put on a list so as to not receive cell phone SPAM. At the time I received these emails, I simply thought of them as SPAM, but now I am not so sure, due to the amount of SPAM my friends and I receive on our cellular devices. Hopefully these lawsuits will help decrease the rise of SPAM in the cellular world.

Posted by brinkerc at 09:48 PM | Comments (0)

Search Information (from before)

**This was also from in class and I just copied it to the group blog**
We went to the Research Buzz website to learn more about search engines and how they operate. From this website there were links for search engines such as, Google, Yahoo, Newsgator, and Bloglines. Additionally there was also a RSS feed. This site is helpful because it provides daily updates of search engines.

Posted by smgillen at 02:09 PM | Comments (0)

Blog Search (from before)

**We did this in class but it was only under my blog (Sean Gillen), I just copied it to the group blog now** We used the BlogPulse feature of Professor Moore's website to search blogs on the internet. Specifically we searched for "Michigan Wolverines" and 1290 blogs showed up. Also, on the homepage for BlogPulse there were features that enabled us to look at the "Top News Stories" and "Top Blogs." This is a quick and easy way to see what is hot in the blogging world, and keep up with what is going on in the world.

Posted by smgillen at 02:07 PM | Comments (0)

December 07, 2006

Cell Phone Trend

The main trend we observed over this semester while following the cell phone market was the effort to try to access a larger customer market. First, there are multiple different cell phone providers that are now targeting children (you have probably seen commercials for them now that it's Christmas Season). These companies are targeting to parents as well, telling them that they will have more access to their kids' lives and ability to control the settings on their child's phone. As for kids, it's the cool thing if you are in elementary school and have a cell phone with a cool design on it.

The other trend we saw was the making of new technologies to make "high quality" cell phones cheaper. Companies that make "smart phones" are now starting to offer these upper end devices, with a few less attributes, at a lower price that is affordable to a larger market.

It is possible that these cell phone makers are trying to make their product more available to different markets because they may feel that the current, adult market is nearing its capacity. There are probably other explanations for this new approach. There are also other trends going on in the cell phone industry (there are always a lot of trends in the United States), but the mass marketing of cell phones was the main movement we noticed.

Posted by brinkerc at 12:06 PM | Comments (0)

Deliciously Interesting (Blog About Delicious Account)

I believe that learning how to use delicious has been one of the most beneficial aspects of this course. Other than staying up to date on IT news and finding new ways to search for information, delicious has been very useful for this course and all of our other courses as well. Being business school students, we are placed in a lot of different groups for all our courses. Now, being able to use delicious to let other class mates in my groups see websites bookmarked that relate to our different projects. Another important aspect of the delicious account is the ability to add other people to your network. This function allowed me, once again, to let other group members see the research that I was doing without us having to get physically together and meet.

The other very important aspect of delicious is the organizing that is permits me to do. I am able to put any one website, under any number of different topic headings. This allows me to quickly find what it is that I'm looking for and then go on to see related websites. Again, this is very good for research purposes and allows people in my network and groups to find the information they need. For example, I can simply tell my partner that I will be tagging our project research under "Marketing", then my partner can find the research easily.

I will definitely continue to use delicious extensively after this course is over.

Posted by brinkerc at 11:51 AM | Comments (0)

Termp Project Subject Announcement

So we've decided (we actually decided a while ago, but just saw that we needed to inform you all about our subject via a blog, so sorry that is isn't in the correct order)! We are doing out Term Project research on cell phones and mobile wireless devices because no matter what field we decide to go into, we will be using this technology. The research has, and hopefully will continue to teach us important aspects about the cell phone industry as a whole.

Posted by brinkerc at 11:29 AM | Comments (0)

WELCOME!!

Welcome to our BIT 200 Term Project. Sean Gillen, Rob Weisenfeld, and Carl Brinker, all from section 004, will be the three authors for this IT research project.

Posted by brinkerc at 11:22 AM | Comments (0)

December 04, 2006

New chip to make multimedia phones affordable for mass market

Texas Instruments Tech

During a meeting of wireless companies on November 8, 2006, Texas Instruments announced its new OMAP-Vox single chip solution that will help make multimedia phones cheaper and available for the mass market. The new chip uses TI's DRP technology which has been successful in lowering costs for other instruments. This technology simplifies the radio frequency and thus reduces board space on the phone and extends the battery life.

Being able to produce relatively cheap phones that have multimedia will be very profitable because emerging markets such as China will continue to buy them up as the market grows.

Posted by smgillen at 11:23 AM | Comments (0)

Cellular lines in the world

World Cellular Lines

The toal number of cellular connections throughout the world will reach 2.5 billion shortly, according to Wireless Intelligence. With growth running over 40 million new connections a month, it took only 12 months to go from 2 billion connections to 2.5. Asia, eastern Europe and Latin America make up a large part of the growth because they are newer markets. Western Europe and America make up for less of the growth because they are mature markets, but the growth is still pretty high. It comes as no surprise that China and India are the leaders in cellphone growth.

Posted by smgillen at 11:12 AM | Comments (0) | TrackBack

December 03, 2006

Amazon and PAPA

I use Amazon.com quite frequently, so it is very interesting to analyze the "Carl's Amazon.com" in the context of the PAPA idea. When I first click on my personal Amazon page, recommendations come up based on previous purchases I have made, i.e. if I buy a lot of Jessica Simpson CDs (which I obviously do), more music like hers will be recommended or a movie she is in may be recommended. As I scroll down, I see my recent searches, purchases, what may be in my cyberspace shopping cart from my last visit, what other people bought who searched the same items as I have. None of this information is very bothersome to me, it appears to be more of an advertising ploy to expose me to different items by tracking my past purchase patters and comparing them to others with similar patterns. However, this information may go to far because if someone uses my computer and goes to Amazon.com, my page automatically pops up (I don't know how to make this not happen, I'm not very computer literate), allowing that person to view my past purchases and searches (I may not want this person to know about my Jessica Simpson bed sheets I bought)

This information is about me, thus it should be mine and I wouldn't want others to have access to it. If someone logs on my computer, they have access to it, also other customers indirectly have access to my information because their recommendations may be based on my buying behavior. Though my name is not attached to these recommendations, my information is still being used and accessed by strangers.

At the bottom of "Carl's Amazon.com" there are options to track orders , change my profile, access my account, and other options. The one that concerns me is the accessing of my account. If someone canget into this, they have the ability to view credit card information, shipping information, billing information (all of which is saved in the Amazon database so that I don't even need to have my credit card out to purchase, it is already saved). This is very important information, Amazon users have to weigh the importance of convenience associated with this info being saved already and the danger of this information getting placed in the wrong hands. This would deal with the Accessibility and Property aspects of PAPA. It's information about me, but because it is saved on Amazon's database, are they part owners? Also, who all has access to this information?

It is very interesting to analyze this frequently used website in the context of PAPA. We take for granted the safety of internet exchanges because of the amount we use them in this age of technology boom. More and more issues are going to be raised over the coming years, relating to these issues.

Posted by brinkerc at 01:02 PM | Comments (0)