Further tweaks to the OAI provider

December 21, 2009

We have fixed a mistake with the UMProvider (OAI provider) that caused there to be more Dublin Core format records than MARC format records. This was due to our not implementing the "deleted records" function for the MARC records. There were about 1500 of these-- a re-harvest will grab these now-deleted records (e.g., records that had their rights status changed to in-copyright). We apologize for the inconvenience.

We have also discovered that there is still a discrepancy of about 1800 records between the number of records in the provider and the number of records in our HathiTrust databases. This is partially due to the fact that the provider is a day or two behind the databases. We will keep an eye on this discrepancy, as this is only a partial explanation.

As of today, there are 391,640 HathiTrust records (not volumes) in the provider and 882,409 total records.

Please do let us know if you have questions or comments about the provider. We're interested in how others are using it.

Posted by Kat Hagedorn at 01:44 PM. Permalink | Comments (0)

HathiTrust Reaches 5 Million Volumes

December 18, 2009

The HathiTrust repository has reached the 5 million volume mark! Included are texts from 5 institutions: Indiana University, Penn State University, University of California, University of Wisconsin, University of Michigan. Compared to 2007 ARL stats, HathiTrust ranks 29th for volumes held. Holdings are likely to reach 8 million in 2010, comparable to a top 15 ranking. Over 700,000 volumes are in the public domain! Search all 5 million at http://catalog.hathitrust.org/ .

Posted by John Weise at 02:19 PM. Permalink | Comments (0)

LibGuides Usability Report

December 16, 2009

The Usability Group has been working hard! Our last task force project was to evaluate the recently implemented LibGuides.

LibGuides is a commercial, web-based content management system used to present the library's various subject and technology-based guides. Librarians can quickly and easily create guides to resources in a simple, modular format. LibGuides provides "boxes" in different content format types, designed to better display certain types of information (for example: links of web resources, RSS feeds, or delicious tags).

First, we conducted a focus group to better understand the research habits of undergraduate students. Then we conducted a "guerilla" test (aka simple or discount usability) to build on the focus group findings which demonstrated that the language currently used to describe our LibGuides (e.g., "research guides") is confusing and misleading regarding the actual content found on LibGuides pages.

The two reports for this project can be found here.

Thanks to the task force project managers (Shevon Desai & Julie Piacentine) and the group members (Barbara Beaton, Jennifer Bonnet, Bill Dueber, and Karen Reiman-Sendi) for all their hard work!

Posted by Suzanne Chapman at 02:44 PM. Permalink | Comments (0)