October 16, 2013
EURAMES Info Service 37/13: Invitation for WOCMES 2014 in Ankara
IV. World Congress for Middle East Studies Middle East Technical University, 18 – 22 August 2014 Ankara / TURKEYThe Turkish Social Sciences Association and the Middle East Technical University (METU) are pleased to invite you to the “Fourth World Congress for Middle East Studies” (WOCMES), to be held at METU in Ankara, Turkey from 18th to 22nd August, 2014. The World Congress seeks to address questions, exchange and explore information on the Middle East in the broadest sense. Scholars, researchers, experts and students engaged in the study of the Middle East, North Africa and Central Asia and the impact of this region on other parts of the world are invited to submit their proposals for panels, papers, roundtables, posters and cultural activities for the Fourth World Congress.
- September 15, 2013 Registration opens
- September 15, 2013 Abstract submission opens
- December 15, 2013 Abstract submission deadline
- February 15, 2014 Notification of acceptance of submitted abstracts
- March 15, 2014 Early Bird registration closes
- June 01, 2014 Advance Registration closes
Fourth World Congress for Middle Eastern Studies (WOCMES-4)Ankara, Turkey, 18-22 August 2014 The Turkish Social Sciences Association and the Middle East Technical University (METU) are pleased to invite you to the “Fourth World Congress for Middle East Studies” (WOCMES), to be held at METU in Ankara, Turkey, August 18th to 22nd, 2014.
The World Congress seeks to address questions, exchange and explore information on the Middle East in the broadest sense. The invitation is aimed at scholars, researchers, educators, students, professionals and other groups interested in studies on North Africa, Middle East, Muslim states of Central Asia as well as other regions of the world which are directly or indirectly affected by affairs in these areas.
After the highly successful experiences of the three previous WOCMES meetings held in Mainz (Germany) in 2002, in Amman
(Jordan) in 2006, and in Barcelona (Spain) in 2010, WOCMES Ankara will bring this unique event to the Eastern Mediterranean
region. The Mediterranean, with its history of human and cultural exchanges, is a privileged environment for WOCMES-4 to
unite experts from all over the world, to exchange new ideas, to strengthen and build regional and global networks for joint
Ankara will undoubtedly be an exciting setting to meet and discuss Middle Eastern Studies. Turkey has always been a
significant center in the Mediterranean and the Arab-Islamic world for obvious reasons. Within this context, Ankara stands out as a meeting point for researchers studying the Mediterranean and the Middle East.
The Middle East Technical University (METU) ranked as one of the World’s Top Universities by several ranking
institutions offers an excellent environment for WOCMES 2014.
- The overall objective of the Congress is to offer the possibility to share and exchange research, experiences and ideas between more than 2000 interdisciplinary experts from all branches of the humanities, social sciences and related disciplines, from all over the world. In this respect, WOCMES-4 particularly wishes to foster the participation of experts from different regions of the world and to facilitate their engagement within new or existing networks of research and exchange.
- WOCMES-4 will be taking place at a time during which political and economic changes have been witnessed in the region since the last Congress in Barcelona. Issues in relation to such important political and economic changes are certainly intriguing to all researchers and specialists of the region from within and without. The contributions by participants from many different disciplines will no doubt raise debates and shed new light on many topics concerning the daily lives of people in the region.
- WOCMES-4 will attract the attention of local and international media as well as actors and institutions in political, economic and cultural spheres who are expected to attend the Congress and disseminate and promote the exchange of ideas far beyond academic circles.
- A large number of associations, research centers, universities, international organizations and other institutions from all over the world have already started to organize meetings, exhibitions, symposia, plenary sessions, panels, roundtables and poster presentations.
- Cultural and artistic works on different aspects of the region will also be placed under the spotlight, thanks to a variety of exhibitions; a film festival with roundtable discussions and a book fair attended by booksellers, publishers and authors; as well as a selection of artistic events.
- WOCMES-4 will be a great opportunity for all participants to visit Ankara, the modern, capital city of Republic of Turkey with its centuries long history of different Anatolian civilizations. The working languages of the conference are English and French.
- Institutions planning to hold major events like conferences, symposia and exhibitions under the umbrella of WOCMES-4 are kindly requested to inform the WOCMES Secretariat before 15 February 2014.
- The detailed Call for Panels and Papers has been issued on 1 October 2013.
- Deadline for the registration of panels and papers, roundtables and poster presentations is 15 December 2013. For further information on the World Congress see www.wocmes2014.org.
ContactWOCMES Secretariat TURKISH SOCIAL SCIENCES ASSOCIATION Aziziye Mah. Hosdere Cad. Hava Sk. 25/1, 06540 Cankaya - Ankara / TURKEY Phone: +90 312 441 45 24; Fax: +90 312 441 45 96 E-Mail: email@example.com; Website: www.wocmes2014.org
Posted by maclachm at October 16, 2013 11:25 AM