October 29, 2006
Whipped this up this morning. Could be on to something!
3 tbs olive oil
4 scrubbed red potatoes (quartered and sliced into 1/8" pieces about the size of a quarter - leave skin on)
8 oz White Mushrooms, diced
1/2 cup Peppers (Green or Red), diced
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
1. Heat around 2 tbs of olive oil in a saute pan over medium high
2. Add potatoes and sprinkle with salt and pepper (add more to taste).
3. Saute for 10-15 minutes or until browned.
4. Add remaining tbs of oil, the mushrooms, and the peppers.
5. Saute for an additional 10 minutes.
6. Serve with eggs if desired.
October 21, 2006
Chicken Taco Filling
Chicken Taco Filling (this shows a double portion)
This is a recipe that we have used in my house for a long time and I realized that I never added a picture! This is a very versatile dish and the chicken may be used for a large variety of purposes beyond chicken tacos. I love it over rice and it works great in quesadillas. We originally found this recipe in one of those recipe magazines from the grocery store. This was from Prevention Magazines' "Prevention Guide Slow Cooker Recipes (Fall 2006). It is very easy...and tastes great.
Ingredients (makes 4-5 portions):
2 tbsp Dried minced onions
3 Frozen boneless and skinless chicken breasts (around 1 1/2 pounds)
1 package Taco seasoning mix (low sodium if you have it) - (1.25 oz)
1 can petite diced tomatoes (with added flavors if you like), undrained (14.5 oz)
1. Place ingredients in slow cooker in order. Place minced onions on the bottom and then add the frozen chicken.
2. Sprinkle the taco mix and then the diced tomatoes (with liquid) atop the chicken.
3. Cook on low for 8-10 hours.
4. When done, take two forks and shred the chicken and mix into the sauce. You can let it cook for an additional half our or so (but it is not necessary).
October 01, 2006
Slow-Cooker BBQ Beef Sandwiches
Slow-Cooker BBQ Beef Sandwiches
(NOTE: I made this a while ago and stumbled on the recipe. It is great for the slow cooker. I am trying an alternative today and will post that as well. I needed the alternative when I could not find this recipe until after I got the slow cooker started!)
5 tbs dark brown sugar
3/4 tsp black pepper
2 (1-lb) flank steaks
1 cup chopped onion
1 cup tomato paste
3 tbs Worcestershire sauce
3 tbs molasses
3 tbs cider vinegar
1 tbs chili powder
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp dry mustard
1 tsp ground cumin
1/2 tsp salt
submarine rolls (serves 10)
Red onion slices (optional)
Dill pickle slices (optional)
1. Combine 1 tbs brown sugar and pepper; rub over both sides of steaks.
2. Combine remaining brown sugar, onion, and next 9 sauce ingredients (through salt) in a slow cooker.
3. Add flank steaks and turn to coat
4. Cook on high setting for one hour and then low setting for 7 hours. (NOTE: I think I did this when I cooked it before. However, if you are doing this in the morning before heading off to work, you might need to adjust this a bit. I am sure that it would work with 9 hours on low, but I have not tried it!)
5. Shred the steaks with forks and mix in the sauce (it might be easier to remove the steaks, shred and return to the slow cooker.
6. Serve as desired (rolls with onions and pickles if you care).