November 19, 2006
Green Beans with Caramelized Onions and Almonds
Green Beans with Caramelized Onions and AlmondsFoodTV
This was excellent with our early Thanksgiving Dinner last night.
Kosher salt (to taste)
1 - 1 1/2 pounds green beans, trimmed of stem end
1/2 cup skin on sliced almonds
5 tablespoons olive oil
3 medium onions, sliced very thin (around 1-1 1/2 cups)
1/2 teaspoon ground thyme
Freshly ground black pepper
1. Fill a high sided skillet (or wok) with water (enough to cover the beans) and bring to a boil.
2. Add a big pinch of salt and the green beans. Cook for about 5 minutes.
3. Drain the beans and then run them under some cold water to stop them from cooking. Set beans to the side.
4. Dry the skillet and toast the almonds over medium heat (3-5 minutes until golden). Set with beans.
5. Heat olive oil on medium high heat and add the onions (with salt and pepper to taste). Stir frequently until the onions caramelize (around 20 to 25 minutes).
6. Add the thyme, and cook for another 5 minutes. Then add the cooked beans and almonds and combine for a few minutes. Then serve!
Posted by cseeman at November 19, 2006 07:41 AM