March 13, 2007
OK...make your Lentil jokes (see this MST 3000 entry).
This is a great low-fat and filling stew. I serve this over brown rice and it is a great lunch. Very easy to make. Could also be used as a side-dish (I suppose) in smaller portions.
1 cup Dried lentils (use plain brown lentils and rinse them before putting in the slow cooker)
1 cup Carrots, diced
1 cup Celery, diced
1 cup Onions, diced
3 tsp (or cloves) Garlic, diced
1 tsp Basil, dried
1 tsp Oregano, dried
1/2 tsp Thyme, dried
2-3 Bay leaves
4 cups Broth (vegatable or chicken)
1 14.5 oz Can of petite diced tomatoes
1. Place all the items in the slow cooker and gently stir a few times.
2. Cook all day 10-12 hours on low setting.
3. Discard bay leaves and enjoy.
Serving suggestion, serve over brown rice (1/2 cup per serving or so).
Cherry Almond Chicken Salad
OK...everyone has a Chicken Salad recipe, but this is really great. I will not call it the best chicken salad or the pen-ultimate chicken salad, but it is pretty darn close.
2 cups cooked and diced chicken (great use of the chicken from the soup recipe)
2 stalks celery, diced
1/2 cup dried cherries
1/3 cup almond thin slices (raw are best, but use what you have)
1/2 cup Mayo or Miracle Whip (use to taste)
salt and pepper to taste.
Throw everything in a bowl and mix like mad!
If you are using the chicken from the chicken soup, then it will break apart as you stir. This is quite alright. If you are using grilled chicken, then it will hold its shape. Either way, it is fantastic.
A variation on Shepard's Pie...this is a new favorite at home. Shepard's Pie and Chicken Pot Pie fight it out for a healthier variation.
3-4 cups cooked and diced chicken (great use of the chicken from the soup recipe)
1 medium onion, diced
1 tbs olive oil
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
1 bag frozen peas and carrots (16 ozs)
2 jars/cans of chicken gravy (fat free works fine)
2 cups mashed potatoes
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
2. Heat oil over medium high heat.
3. Add onion and cook until soft, 4-5 minutes
4. Add chicken, salt, pepper and frozen peas & carrots and stir until veggies break apart (3-5 minutes)
5. Add gravy and cook until mixed and starting to bubble (3-5 minutes)
6. Place chicken mix into round or oval caserole pan. Spread the mashed potatoes on top for the crust.
7. Cook for 35-40 minutes.