September 24, 2007
Slow Cooker Roast (Variation)
Played with this recipe a bit and came up with a nice variation.
2-3 lbs Chuck or English Roast
2 medium onions, thinly sliced (1/6" thick or so)
1 lb baby carrots or 5-6 regular carrots cleaned and sliced 1/2" thick
6-8 Red Skin Potatoes, cleaned and cut into quaters
1 package of onion soup mix (any variety)
1 can petite diced tomatoes (any variety)
1 cup of beef broth
kosher salt to taste
pepper to taste
cooking spray or olive oil
1. Place the onions in the bottom of the slow cooker.
2. Salt and Pepper (to taste) both sides of the roast.
3. In a pan over medium-high heat, heat cooking spray or olive oil and then brown the sides of the roast (about 4-5 minutes each side). Place the roast in the slow cooker.
4. Add carrots and potatoes to the slow cooker, filling the sides and above the meat.
5. Sprinkle the onion soup mix across the top of the roast. (NOTE: add dried minced onions if you would like)
6. Spread tomatoes across the top and then pour in the broth. Add additional salt and pepper if desired.
7. Turn on low and cook for 8 to 10 hours.
September 11, 2007
Played with the recipe a bit...this came out totally fantastic! Best stew I ever made.
1.5 lbs stew meat, cut in 1 inch cubes
1 medium onion, thinly sliced
1.5 cups of baby carrots
7-8 small red potatoes, cleaned and sliced into quaters
1 package onion soup mix
1 cup beef broth
1 can petite diced tomatoes
1/2 tsp dried rosemary
3-4 tbsp flour
salt and pepper to taste
Layer the ingredients this way:
1. Add onions on the bottom of the slow cooker.
2. Dredge the meat in the flour (with salt and pepper), place meat in the slow cooker.
3. Add carrots and potatoes to the sides and top.
4. Sprinkle onion soup mix on top
5. Pour in broth & tomatoes (with liquid).
6. Cook for 8-10 hours & serve.