September 24, 2007
Slow Cooker Roast (Variation)
Played with this recipe a bit and came up with a nice variation.
2-3 lbs Chuck or English Roast
2 medium onions, thinly sliced (1/6" thick or so)
1 lb baby carrots or 5-6 regular carrots cleaned and sliced 1/2" thick
6-8 Red Skin Potatoes, cleaned and cut into quaters
1 package of onion soup mix (any variety)
1 can petite diced tomatoes (any variety)
1 cup of beef broth
kosher salt to taste
pepper to taste
cooking spray or olive oil
1. Place the onions in the bottom of the slow cooker.
2. Salt and Pepper (to taste) both sides of the roast.
3. In a pan over medium-high heat, heat cooking spray or olive oil and then brown the sides of the roast (about 4-5 minutes each side). Place the roast in the slow cooker.
4. Add carrots and potatoes to the slow cooker, filling the sides and above the meat.
5. Sprinkle the onion soup mix across the top of the roast. (NOTE: add dried minced onions if you would like)
6. Spread tomatoes across the top and then pour in the broth. Add additional salt and pepper if desired.
7. Turn on low and cook for 8 to 10 hours.
Posted by cseeman at September 24, 2007 05:52 AM