December 26, 2010
Italian Beef Sandwiches
This is a recipe that we have not made in a while - but was one of our favorites - think we will get it back into rotation! You use the slow cooker for this and it is very easy - and delicious.
Ingredients for Beef
- 3-4 lbs Chuck Roast
- 2-3 teaspoons chopped garlic
-Salt and pepper to taste
-1 bottle (16 oz) of Italian Dressing (any brand should work - we did not use fat free, but ‘lite’ could work.
Ingredients for Finishing the Sandwiches -lots of flexibility here!
-1 bell peppers (green)
- 1 red pepper
-slices of provolone cheese for sandwiches
-Rolls or Focaccia bread
1. Spread half the garlic and salt and pepper (to taste) one side of the chuck roast - then place that side in a pan to brown for around 4 minutes per side in a stovetop pan.
2. While the one side is browning, place the remaining garlic and salt & pepper on the un-browned side. Then flip so both sides are browned.
3. When both sides are browned, place the roast in the slow cooker. Then empty the 16oz bottle of Italian dressing over the roast.
4. Set on low and cook for 8-10 hours (this is not fussy - so it can go longer if needed).
5. Before beef is done, slice the peppers (using a thin slicer or mandolin).
6. Remove beef from the slow cooker. Use two forks and break the beef into smaller pieces. Cut the fat off when you find it.
7. When preparing the sandwiches, use rolls or sliced Focaccia bread. Place meat on the bottom, place provolone and a few pieces of peppers on top. Then enjoy!
Posted by cseeman at December 26, 2010 07:40 AM