February 02, 2011
Thai Chicken with Basil and Peppers
This was modified from a recipe from Martha Stewart. It was not that difficult and was fantastic.
1 1/4 cups jasmine rice
1 can (13.5 oz) coconut milk
3/4 cup water
1/2 tsp kosher salt
2 tbs plus 1 tsp fish sauce
2 tbs plus 1 tsp soy sauce
1 tsp sugar
1 1/2 tbs olive oil
2-3 tsp chopped garlic
1 red bell pepper - sliced julienne style
1 green bell pepper - sliced julienne style
2 skinless chicken breasts
3/4 cup torn fresh basil leaves
1. Slice the chicken breasts in thin strips (around 1/4" thick) - you might freeze it for a short time to make it easier to slice.
2. In a saucepan, combine rice, coconut milk, 3/4 cup water, and 1/2 tsp of salt. Cover and bring to a boil - then reduce heat to a simmer and cook until rice was tender - around 25 minutes. The liquid will be absorbed by the rice.
3. Combine fish sauce, soy sauce, and sugar in a small bowl.
4. When the rice is almost done - start the rest of the meal.
5. Heat oil in a skillet or wok over high heat.
6. Add garlic and the peppers and cook for around a minute.
7. Add the chicken and cook for around 4 minutes (you can take a piece and make sure it is cooked through).
8. Add fish sauce mixture and cook for around 45 seconds.
9. Add the basil and stir to combine.
10. Remove from heat and serve over rice.
Posted by cseeman at February 2, 2011 04:43 PM