July 29, 2011
BBQ Pulled Pork Sandwiches
Modestly adapted from a bunch of recipes that I found. I never cooked with soda before...but I will certainly do it again - this was AMAZING! We used Pork Tenderloin - which came out beautiful. More expensive, but less fatty.
4-5 lbs Pork Tenderloin or Roast
2 tbs dried chopped onions
1/2 tsp ground pepper - adjust to taste
1 tsp kosher salt - adjust to taste
Root Beer (you will want about 1 cup per each lbs of meat, with one cup for the pot - like with tea)
1 18-20 oz Bottle of BBQ sauce (any type will do)
1. Place dried onions in the bottom of a slow cooker.
2. Add pork to the slow cooker and sprinkle the salt and pepper on top (adjust amount to taste).
3. Pour root beer directly on the pork and then set on low for 8-10 hours.
4. Remove the pork from the slow cooker and place on a plate. Drain most (not all) of the liquid from the pot.
5. Remove any fat from the pork (especially if you are using a Butt Roast) and return it to the slow cooker.
6. Using two forks, shred the meat.
7. Add the BBQ sauce and mix thoroughly. Cook on low for an additional 2 hours.
8. Pork is ready to serve - great on rolls, crusty bread or buns.
Posted by cseeman at July 29, 2011 02:52 PM