April 01, 2012
Penne with Broccoli and Turkey Sausage
This recipe was based on Emeril Lagasse's Rigatoni with Broccoli and Sausage from Everyday Foods (March 2012). I made some healthy choices and tossed in some ingredients that I like to cook with these days (like Parsley and Capers). I love this magazine and have to get off my kiester to get a subscription!
Ingredients (Makes 4-6 servings):
1/2 tsp Kosher salt
13.25 oz box of Whole grain penne
1 lbs Sweet Italian turkey sausage, casings removed
1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
1/4 cup Parsley, chopped
2 tsp Garlic, minced
1-2 tbsp Grated lemon zest (adjust to taste)
2 tbsp Lemon juice
4 Anchovy fillets, minced
1 tbsp Capers, rinsed
1/2 tsp Dried oregano
2 heads broccoli, cut into florets
Parmesan, grated, for serving
1. Add 1/2 tsp of Kosher salt to a large pot of water and bring to a boil. Add pasta and cook for around 9 minutes.
2. In a separate pan over medium-high heat, apply a coat of cooking spray and add the turkey sausage. Break up the meat as it cooks and cook for around 9-11 minutes. Remove any excess liquid from the pan.
3. In a serving bowl, add the following ingredients: olive oil, parsley, garlic, lemon zest and juice, anchovies, capers, and oregano. Gently mix together while sausage and pasta cooks.
4. After the past cooks for 9 minutes, add the broccoli and cook for two more minutes. Then remove from heat (reserving 1/2 to 3/4 cup of the pasta water).
5. Mix the pasta/broccoli, drained turkey sausage into the serving bowl with 1/2 to 3/4 cup pasta water. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese and serve!
Posted by cseeman at April 1, 2012 06:24 PM