June 28, 2012
Penne with Chicken and Light Sun-Dried Tomato Sauce
This was adapted from Capellini With Pine Nuts, Sun-Dried Tomatoes And Chicken from Prevention magazine. This is really growing on me for a great place for healthy recipes. I adapted the recipe a fair amount, but I love the way that this turned out. This is a keeper with a nice light sauce.
Ingredients (serves 4-5)
1/2 cup Pine nuts
13 oz box Penne, whole wheat or whole grain
1 cup Broth (chicken, low-sodium chicken or vegetable)
5-6 oz Sun-dried tomatoes, dry-packed
1 tbsp Olive oil
3 Chicken breasts, cut into 1/4" slices (lengthwise)
Kosher salt and ground pepper to taste
4 tsp Garlic, minced (or 4 cloves)
1/4 tsp Crushed red pepper flakes
12 Kalamata olives, pitted and cut in half.
1/4 cup Fresh basil, sliced into thin strips
1. In a saute pan over low heat, toast the pine nuts until they are lightly browned.
2. Prepare pasta according to package directions
3. Soak tomatoes in near boiling water for around 10 minutes. Drain the liquid (adding 1/2 cup to the broth and set aside). Then slice the tomatoes into strips.
4. Heat the olive oil in large skillet over medium-high heat. Season chicken with kosher salt and pepper. Add chicken, garlic, and red-pepper flakes to the skillet and cook for around 3 minutes. Drain any excess liquid in the pan. Then add tomatoes, broth/water mixture and the olives. Cook for an additional 3-4 minutes. Remove from heat.
5. Add pasta to skillet and toss thoroughly. Then add the basil and pine nuts and toss again.
Posted by cseeman at June 28, 2012 09:20 PM