September 08, 2012
Smoked Salmon Pasta
I have had this 8 oz package of smoked salmon (Portlock Wild Smoked Salmon) that I bought in Seattle, Washington a LONG time ago. These things have a long shelf life - the expiration date is December 2013....HONESTLY! So I took a few different recipes (though mostly from this recipe from Mehan Dossani for Tomato and Smoked Salmon Pasta) I found and created this.... Really liked it - might try it again the next time I have smoked salmon.
Ingredients (serves 4-5)
1 12-14 oz pound box of pasta (spaghetti or penne - we use whole grain or equivalent)
1 tbsp Olive oil
1 Medium onion, finely chopped
4 oz Mushrooms, thinly sliced
2 tsp Garlic, finely chopped (or 2 cloves)
Kosher salt and black pepper (to taste - no more than 1/4 of a tsp)
1 14.5 oz can Petite diced tomatoes
1/2 cup White wine
1/4 tsp Dill weed
2 tbsp Heavy cream
8 oz Smoked Salmon, coarsely chopped
1/4 cup Basil, shredded
1. Cook the pasta according to the package directions.
2. Heat the olive oil in a saucepan over medium-high heat. Add the onion, mushrooms, garlic and kosher salt and black pepper (to taste - around 1/4 tsp of each at most). Cook, stirring occasionally, for around 3-4 minutes.
3. Add tomatoes, wine, and dill weed to the pan and cook for 4 minutes.
4. Reduce heat to low and add 2 tbsp of heavy cream and stir for around 1 minute.
5. Stir in salmon and then remove from heat. Mix thoroughly and then add basil. When blended, pour on the pasta.
Add Parmesan cheese as desired.
Posted by cseeman at September 8, 2012 04:23 PM