September 03, 2012
Special Fried Rice
Adapted from a number of recipes that I found, including one for Tofu Fried Rice from Cooking Light.
2 cups Cooked brown rice (instant is OK)
2 tbsp Peanut oil, divided
1 (14 oz package) Extra-firm Tofu, drained and cut into 1/2 inch cubes (use less if desired)
1/2 lbs Shrimp (medium sized), cleaned and deveined
2 tsp Garlic, minced
2 Eggs, lightly beaten
1 bunch Green onion, in small slices
4 oz Bean sprouts
1/2 cup Peas (frozen), thawed
8 oz Mushrooms, sliced with stems removed.
1 tsp Minced fresh ginger
1 tbsp Rice wine vinegar
3 tbsp Soy sauce
2 tbsp Hoisin sauce
1. Combine rice wine vinegar, soy sauce, and hoisin sauce. Set aside.
2. Heat 2 tsp peanut oil a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add tofu and cook 4-6 minutes (or until lightly browned), stirring occasionally then remove from pan.
3. Heat 2 tsp peanut oil to pan a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add shrimp and garlic and cook 4 minutes (or until shrimp turns pink), stirring occasionally then remove from pan and put with tofu.
4. Add eggs to pan; cook around 1 minute or until done, breaking eggs into small pieces. Then remove from pan and add to tofu and shrimp.
5. Add 2 tsp peanut oil to pan and add green onions, bean sprouts, peas, mushrooms, and ginger; saute 2 minutes.
6. Add cooked rice to pan; cook 2 minutes, stirring constantly.
7. Add tofu, egg and soy sauce mixture; cook 30 seconds, stirring constantly.
Posted by cseeman at September 3, 2012 11:45 AM