February 02, 2013
Winter Chicken Pasta (Chicken and Veggies)
This was adapted from a Prevention Recipe for Chicken Cacciatore. I played with this quite a lot - and took out some of the things that the family does not love and swapped in some things they do. I added spinach because we all need more greens - don't we? I loved the way this came out and it will be definitely on a short rotation.
Ingredients (Makes around 4 servings)
12-14 oz boxed Pasta (your choice)
1 tbsp Olive oil
3 Chicken breast pieces, cut into 1/2" pieces
1/4 tsp Kosher salt
1/4 tsp Black pepper
8 oz Mushrooms, cut in half
1 Bell pepper, cut into strips (any color)
1 small Onion, chopped
2 tsp garlic, chopped
1 cup Chicken broth
1 tsp Oregano, dried
1/2 tsp Basil, dried
1 tsp Parsley, dried
1 tbsp Tomato paste
14.5 oz can Petite diced tomatoes
Baby spinach (to taste - around two handfuls)
1. Prepare pasta per package directions.
2. Heat olive oil in large nonstick frying pan (with cover) over medium-high heat while making pasta. Add kosher salt and pepper to the chicken and add it to the pan. Cook for around 5-6 minutes, turning occasionally, until browned on all sides. Transfer to bowl (leaving the liquid in the pan) and cover the chicken with foil.
3. Add the mushrooms, bell pepper, onion, garlic, chicken broth, oregano, basil, parsley, and tomato paste in the pan. Reduce heat to medium, cover, and cook, stirring occasionally, about 5 minutes. Uncover and cook for about 5 more minutes.
4. Stir in tomatoes (with juice) and chicken with any accumulated juices from bowl. Reduce heat to a simmer for around 4 minutes.
5. Add the baby spinach and mix until wilted, about one minute.
6. Pour over the pasta and serve.
Posted by cseeman at February 2, 2013 09:10 PM