July 06, 2013
Summer Quinoa Salad
I am really enjoying quinoa these days and am looking for recipes that will make a nice side dish - or for that matter - a great lunch at work. The best part about quinoa is that it has high protein - so it will keep you going for the rest of the day. I adapted this Vegetarian Times recipes for Refreshing Quinoa Salad and loved the way it came out. I will put this on a short rotation to keep in stock for my brown-bag lunches at work. Add some fruit and some yogurt and I have a lunch that even Dr. Oz would approve. OK...maybe he would find something wrong with it...but that is why he is the greatest killjoy in America these days. Though to his credit - he is trying to make us eat healthy...which is not so easy.
ANYWAY...this is very tasty, very easy to make and delicious. Here are some of my other quinoa recipes on my blog.
Ingredients (Serves 4-6):
1 cup Quinoa
1/2 cup Pine nuts
1/3 cup Olive oil
3 tbsp Lemon juice
1 tbsp Dijon mustard
1/2 tsp Kosher salt (adjust to taste)
1/2 tsp Black pepper (adjust to taste)
1 Cucumber, peeled and finely diced
1/2 pint Cherry tomatoes, halved
1 small or 1/2 medium Red onion, finely chopped
1/4 cup Cilantro (fresh), chopped
1. Rinse quinoa under running water to make sure it is clean.
2. Bring 2 cups water to a boil. Add quinoa, cover, and reduce heat to medium-low. Simmer for around 15-20 minutes or until the water is absorbed. Remove pot from heat and let cool in a large mixing bowl.
3. In a small saute pan over medium-low heat, toast the pine nuts (shaking the pan often so they do not burn) for around 3-5 minutes until lightly browned. Add pine nuts to the mixing bowl with the quinoa.
4. In a small bowl, mix olive oil, lemon juice, mustard, kosher salt and black pepper.
5. To the quinoa mix, add cucumber, tomatoes, onion, and cilantro. Add olive oil mix and thoroughly blend the salad.
Posted by cseeman at July 6, 2013 09:38 AM