August 03, 2013
Turkey Chia Meatballs with Mushroom Pasta
So once again, Dr. Oz showcases some really great recipes and food choices for a healthy living. While I know he can be over the top many times - the food segments are really great. Pam mentioned that she saw a recipe for Chia Turkey Meatballs and that we should give it a shot. We found the recipe for Chia Turkey Meatballs on the Dr. Oz site and I played with it.
I added a complete pasta sauce to this recipe - so they can be separated out if desired. The sauce has lots of mushrooms and was really great. The meatballs were outstanding and the thought of getting more chia seeds is really good from a health standpoint.
This will be on a quick rotation - loved the way this came out and it heated up brilliantly the follow day for lunch.
Ingredients (Serves 4):
Turkey Chia Meatballs
1/2 cup Chicken broth
1 tsp, Garlic (or one clove), chopped
2 tbsp Chia seed
1/2 tsp Basil, dried
1/2 tsp Oregano, dried
1/2 tsp Thyme, dried
1 tbsp Parsley, dried
1/2 tsp Kosher salt
1/4 tsp Black pepper
1/4 tsp ground black pepper
1 lbs. 93% lean Ground turkey breast
1/3 cup Bread crumbs
13.5 oz Pasta (your choice)
3 tbsp Olive Oil
2 tsp, Garlic (or two cloves), chopped
1 lbs Mushrooms, sliced
2 small Onions (or 1 medium onion), diced small
1 28oz can Crushed tomatoes
1 tsp Oregano, dried
1 tsp Basil, dried
2 tbsp Parsley, dried
Kosher salt and pepper to taste.
Directions for Turkey Chia Meatballs
1. In a large bowl combine broth, garlic and chia seed, set aside for 15 minutes.
2. Add remaining ingredients and mix well.
3. Roll into meatballs a bit smaller than a golf ball and place in shallow baking pan. Bake at 350° F for 25 minutes.
Directions for Mushroom Pasta
1. Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add garlic, mushrooms and onions and saute for 6 minutes. Break up the larger mushroom pieces.
2. Add the crushed tomatoes, oregano, basil, parsley, kosher salt and black pepper (to taste) and mix well. Lower heat to medium-low and simmer for around 20-25 minutes.
3. Meanwhile, prepare pasta as directed so it is finished at the same time as the pasta sauce.
Enjoy the dish together!
Posted by cseeman at August 3, 2013 09:02 AM