November 17, 2012
Adapted from a recipe from Cooking Light. First stab at making this dish at home and this was super easy and delicious! It has a real nice orange taste (I love the blend of orange and cranberries).
1 1/2 cups Sugar
3/4 cup Orange juice
2 tbsp Orange rind, grated (from one large orange)
1 tsp Ground Cinnamon
1/2 tsp Ground Ginger
12 oz package Fresh Cranberries
1. Combine all ingredients in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat. Bring to a boil.
2. Reduce heat and simmer 12 minutes (or when the cranberries pop).
3. Pour into a serving container and chill before serving (excellent to do the day before you need it).
November 26, 2011
Holiday Red Cabbage and Chestnuts
NOTE: This makes a ton - freeze part of it or you will never eat it all.
2 Onions (medium sized) - sliced thinly in a mandolin
2 Shallots - sliced thinly in a mandolin
3-4 tbps Olive Oil
1 head of Red Cabbage - sliced at the thicker level (~1/4" thick) after removing outer layers (Sometimes cabbages can be too much - so use as much as you want above 1/2 a head).
1 tsp Kosher Salt
1/2 tsp Ground Black Pepper
1 Whole Apple - Peeled and Chopped
1-2 cups Roasted Peeled Chestnuts (around 11 ounces)
1. Heat Olive Oil over medium-high heat in a large pot. Add Onions and Shallots and saute until brown 6-8 minutes.
2. Add sliced Cabbage to pot and mix.
3. Add Salt & Peper to mix and then add water to cover around 3/4 of the ingredients.
4. Lower heat and simmer for one hour.
5. Add Chopped Apples and simmer for an additional 30 minutes.
6. Add Chestnuts and simmer for an additional 45 minutes.