April 05, 2007
It's been a while since I posted to this blog... In part it is because I was so darn busy, not the least with the new SI Computing's site. However, I'm happy to report that the Joomla! platform has proved to be a great find!
We now have the site pretty much ready and are working like crazy adding content to it. The (really) good news is that once you have the basic structure of your site in place (in the Joomla! parlance that means mostly "Sections", and "Categories"), adding content is so easy, it's nearly a pleasure. Putting the structure together wasn't too great of a challenge, either. In fact, I have yet to look at any sort of Joomla! manual - yes, it is that intuitive! (Or I'm that smart... Nah!)
A digression: There has been a recent discussion on the WWW-SIG mailing list (if my memory serves me right) about the problem of sharing and preserving content when every department, and even groups within a department, is using a different tool - now with disparate Content Management Systems adding complexity and further incompatibilities into the mix. I can see how this could be a reason for concern, but in our particular case preservation and sharing were not of paramount importance; rather, the ease of collaboratively building a dynamic, constantly evolving site was what we were after.
I can honestly say that we did take a good look at the tools already available on this campus, including Sitemaker and Drupal, but none of them gave us the capability we wanted without presenting us with a learning curve we just didn't have the time to tackle. I am a bit sad that we had to go outside, but I'm very, very pleased with what we found there.
Our new site is not yet public, but if you'd like to take a peek, send me a message, and I will provide you with the URL.
Posted by wlodek at April 5, 2007 05:15 PM