Food & Film Series in June!
One of my favorite combinations... delicious food and a good movie! The Michigan Foodways programing brings the following events to Chelsea´s McKune Memorial Library, with co-sponsor with Slow Food Huron Valley.
When: Tuesdays at 8:30 pm
Where: Chelsea Library 221 S. Main in Chelsea.
What: Michigan Foodways OR Call:
Slow Food Huron Valley
Tuesday, June 5
"Big Night" with Silvio´s Organic Pizza
- Silvio, chef and owner of Silvio's Organic Pizza in Ann Arbor, will talk briefly about his food and philosophy and about his connection to the local food community. He will bring several of his heavenly pizzas to try.
- "Big Night": Primo and Secondo are two brothers who have emigrated from Italy to open an Italian restaurant but have trouble keeping financially afloat. The owner of the nearby Pascal's restaurant, successful despite its mediocre fare, offers a solution. He will call his friend, a big-time jazz musician, to play a special benefit at their restaurant. Primo begins to prepare a feast of a lifetime, for the brothers' big night.
Tuesday, June 12
"Babette´s Feast" with Slow Food Huron Valley
- Slow Food Huron Valley presents delicious treats prepared from produce and other foods purchased at the local farmers markets, along with some ideas about connecting with and enjoying our local food community.
- "Babette´s Feast": In 19th century Denmark, a French woman refugee, Babette, arrives at the door of two sisters and begs them to take her in. Sometime after their father dies, the sisters decide to hold a dinner to commemorate the 100th anniversary of his birth. Babette implores the sisters to allow her to take charge of the preparation of the meal. Although they are secretly concerned about what Babette, a Catholic & foreigner, might do, the sisters allow her to go ahead. Babette prepares the feast of a lifetime for the members of the tiny church and an important gentleman related to one of them.
Tuesday, June 19
"Like Water for Chocolate" with Zingerman's Mexican Chocolate
- Zingerman´s will do a short presentation about and a tasting of sweet and spicy Mexican Drinking Chocolate (made with water and chocolate!)
- "Like Water for Chocolate": Tita and Pedro are passionately in love. But their love is forbidden by an ancient family tradition. To be near Tita, Pedro marries her sister. And Tita, as the family cook, expresses her passion for Pedro through preparing delectable dishes. Now, in Tita's kitchen, ordinary spices become a recipe for passion. Her creations bring on tears of longing, heated desire, or chronic pain - while Tita and Pedro wait for the moment to fulfill their most hidden pleasures!
Tuesday, June 26
"Chocolat" with Sweet Gem Confections
- Presentation by Nancy, local chocolate and confection maker at Sweet Gem Confections suggests ways to "bring joy through chocolate" and, of course, sampling of delicious sweets.
- "Chocolat": When a single mother and her six-year-old daughter move to rural France and open a chocolate shop with Sunday hours - across the street from the local church - they are met with some skepticism. But as soon as they coax the townspeople into enjoying their delicious products, they are warmly welcomed.