December 20, 2009
The Good Hospital Visitor
Do you have a friend or relative in the hospital? Have you ever wondered what would be the right thing to do - visit or not, bring a present or not, send flowers or not? Several of us in the library have recently been impressed to read "The Good Hospital Visitor" from Disabled World.
Disabled World: The Good Hospital Visitor: http://www.disabled-world.com/artman/publish/hospitalvisitors.shtml
Please, go read the whole article, but just to whet your interest, here are the brief high points.
1. Stay home if you are sick.
2. Wash your hands before and after.
3. Sanitize the bottom of your purse, bag and shoes after you leave the hospital.
LEAVE AT HOME:
2. Plants or flowers for ICU patients.
HELP IMPROVE PATIENT CARE:
1. Make sure there is someone there 24/7 to be a patient advocate.
2. Create a Care Team Notebook (read this part especially!)
3. Ask the patient if they have a durable power of attorney.
1. Obey posted hospital visitation policies.
2. Contact advocate and ask if it is ok to visit.
3. Avoid visits at shift change and procedure times.
1. Offer to assist nursing staff.
2. Give family members a break.
3. Learn "hospital speak".
4. Take care of yourself.
5. Manage your own stress.
6. DON'T STOP VISITING!
Posted by pfa at December 20, 2009 08:18 PM