« July 2010 | Main | September 2010 »

August 20, 2010

Renewal of UpToDate

Due to the generosity of the UM Health System, UpToDate, a clinical point-of care resource, will remain available for use on campus. This will allow the University Library to continue offering other valuable resources to UM faculty, staff, and students.

Posted by cshannon at 08:33 AM | Comments (0)

August 19, 2010

Resources for public health

Two more resources have been added to Search Tools. These are freely-available websites which have been added so that they can be more easily found by researchers. Both may be especially useful to researchers in public health.

The New Routes to Community Health website is a subject gateway for immigrant community health issues. It represents the combined efforts of eight diverse, immigrant-led collaborations working to create local media and outreach campaigns to address their communities' health concerns. The site can be searched by topic, by immigrant population, or by tags; a list of common tags is presented to aid browsing. This is a useful site for finding information about immigrant community issues, and especially about existing health care projects.

The Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality website is a comprehensive portal to issues regarding health care quality and safety. It provides clinical information, patient and consumer information, funding opportunities, and surveys and other data sources. This is an extensive source of free information, available in both English and Spanish.

Posted by sehanley at 09:35 AM | Comments (0)

August 18, 2010

Regulatory data & trial registries

Several public resources have now been added to Search Tools to assist researchers in locating clinical trials and regulatory data for drugs. These are freely available, but their addition to Search Tools should make them easier to find for UM researchers.

For drug regulatory and product information, try:
* European Public Assessment Reports (EPARs)
* Health Canada Drug Product Database
* FDA Dockets Management
* Drugs@FDA
* Devices@FDA

For locating controlled trials, try:
* ClinicalStudyResults.org
* ClinicalTrials.gov
* metaRegister of Controlled Trials (mRCT)
* WHO International Clinical Trials Registry Platform

Posted by sehanley at 11:50 AM | Comments (0)

August 11, 2010

Online anatomy tools

The Taubman Health Sciences Library is pleased to announce a 30-day trial to e-Anatomy, an online, interactive anatomical atlas from IMAIOS. This award-winning resource provides over 4000 images, including CT scans, MRI, and radiographs in 29 distinct modules, with a search function to locate any anatomical structure.

The interactive controls allow the user to move through multiple cross-sections of structures or regions, while other controls allow the image to be saved or printed directly. The labels are also available in eight different languages.

For more information, here is a helpful user guide.

For more anatomical images, don't forget that Anatomy.tv is also available from Stat!Ref.

Posted by sehanley at 04:31 PM | Comments (0)

August 05, 2010

The New OvidSP Interface--My Workspace/My Projects

My Workspace is a new area of OvidSP that includes My Projects, My Searches & Alerts, My TOCs, and an Update Toolbar.

In My Projects you can organize your research projects, citations and other materials that aren't in OvidSP, and you can subdivide projects into folders.
Ovid My Project_1

You can create projects in My Project or you can create them "on the fly," as you're doing searches. Folders must be created in the My Projects area.

Simply select citations from your search, then click Add to My Projects.
Ovid My Project_2

Add your citations to a new or existing project.

Ovid My Project_3<

You can also drag and drop citations into the My Projects area on the lower left of the search results page. Select the citations, then drag the vertical gray bar (it's not visible here, but just hover over the citation numbers & you'll see it).

Ovid My Project_4

In My Projects, you can also drag and drop citations into different projects and folders.

Create folders in My Project by clicking on the Action button. You can also create a new project, add a citation manually, or upload a file.
Ovid My Project_5

Posted by cshannon at 10:21 AM | Comments (0)

August 02, 2010

The New Medline (OvidSP)--Exporting Citations

One thing that I really like about the new Medline (Ovid) interface is the way you export citations. The Results Manager is immediately above your search results. Simply choose the references that you wish to export, then click Export.

Ovid_search

The export window opens, where you can choose where to export to & the fields you want displayed. Just click Export Citations, choose your EndNote library & you're done!
Ovid export

As always, if you have questions, just contact us at 763-3071 or thlibrary@umich.edu.

Posted by cshannon at 11:07 AM | Comments (0)

Changes to Medline (Ovid)/UM-MEDSEARCH

Today Ovid will switch to a new interface for accessing databases such as Medline & the Cochrane databases. While some of the changes are slight, there are major innovations, including a slightly different way to export citations to citation management software (it's easier!) and a new section called “My Projects” that lets you organize your research, including items & files not found in the Ovid databases.

I'll be blogging about some of the new features during this week, but for a complete overview, check out this helpful video from Yale.

">

Posted by cshannon at 10:19 AM | Comments (0)

Dog Days of Summer--Health Wonk Variety

For those who are a little behind on their health care/policy/insurance blog work, Health Wonk Review has gathered together a great series of posts in one location. Enjoy!

Posted by cshannon at 09:11 AM | Comments (0)

August 01, 2010

Health Information for Oil Spills

A week ago I did a presentation on health information for an audience in Second Life interested in the Gulf Oil Spill. The next day, Michigan suffered a local oil spill, one of the largest (if not the largest) in Michigan history and the Midwest. From what I am seeing of the public health recommendations from our local state and county officials, much of the same health recommendations and resources hold true here as well as in the Gulf area. Here are the slides and links recommended in that earlier presentation.

Here are links to additional local information sources specifically on the Michigan Oil Spill (#MIoilspill).

State of Michigan: Oil Spill: http://www.michigan.gov/oilspill/

EPA: Enbridge Spill: Odors: http://www.epa.gov/enbridgespill/odor.html

Michigan: Calhoun County: Health Department Issues Water Advisory - 7/29/2010 (PDF): http://www.calhouncountymi.org/ReferenceDesk/Forms/CCPHD_Enbridge_Oil_Spill_Water_Advisory_072910.pdf

A visual guide to oil spill lingo: http://michiganmessenger.com/40280/oil-spill-a-visual-guide-to-the-lingo

Receive updates from the State of Michigan via social media.

Posted by pfa at 07:03 PM | Comments (0)