« April 2007 | Main | June 2007 »

May 31, 2007

OP-ED on EHR

Physician, Upgrade Thyself - New York Times is another patient-oriented cry for more ubiquitous personal electronic health records. It's a position I support, with caveats. On one hand, the most common argument against EHRs is cost. Is it penny-wise, pound foolish?

On the other hand, there are concerns about privacy, security, and accuracy, many well-justified or needing further attention. Given all the medical devices we've created, we can't come up with an affordable, transportable, secure EHR?

Google and their perpetual betas may usurp more than libraries in the information business.

Posted by janeblum at 11:00 AM | Comments (0)

Lorcan Dempsey's weblog: What does the boss think? refers to an article in C&RL about higher admin attitudes about the library. In short, it's "what has the library done for me lately?" It's a question we need to answer not only often, loudly, and clearly, but with words and work that show we understand the university, its component units, and their work, and that we are making a definable contribution to achieving their mission and goals.

While in some ways this is obvious, it's easy to forget that the library is no longer a self-evident and indispensable. We should remind ourselves everyday, "It's not about us!"

Posted by janeblum at 10:45 AM | Comments (0)

May 25, 2007

I was going to do this ...

But The Krafty Librarian beat me to it with her post,
MLA 2007 Wrap Up, pointing to a variety of blog posts about the meeting.

MLA bloggers, listed here or not, NPC 08 would love to hear from you!

Posted by janeblum at 10:10 AM | Comments (0)

May 24, 2007

So what about MLA 08?

MLA update: omg tuna is kewl is the first blog post I saw regarding the MLA annual meeting in Philly earlier this week. I've left comments there, and invite them here about ideas for next year's meeting. The 2008 National Program Committee (hereafter NPC) is excited about the 2.0 theme of the conference. We've already been working on this for more than a year, and we're working hard to be creative, interactive, and responsive to Mark Funk's presidential challenge and to the membership. Let us hear from you!

Posted by janeblum at 12:16 PM | Comments (0)

May 04, 2007

sexism in medicine � omg tuna is kewl

Posted by janeblum at 03:14 PM | Comments (0)

May 01, 2007

Past performance may not be indicative of future results

Stephen's Lighthouse: ACRL Top 10 Assumptions

In other words, ACRL expects things to continue on the current path. I don't have a great track record predicting the future myself, but off hand I'd say that's the least likely course of future events.

Posted by janeblum at 03:36 PM | Comments (0)